1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Former foster youth, need mentoring

1. Feb 11, 2015 #1
    Hello everyone, I'm not here to make a huge deal out of my past, but unfortunately I was dealt a few bad cards in the beginning. I really need someone that has studied computer science and kind of knows the ropes. I am very passionate about this, and I study 8 hours a day. But I feel lost under a pile of coursework I can't fully grasp. I don't know how to navigate college as my parents didn't even graduate high school. I was in and out of school until I became a foster kid Halfway through my freshman year of high school. I love math, but was just never able to get it due to the lack of schooling my former years.

If anyone would be interested, that would be great. I am pretty self dependant and can grow off of the direction I am sent in. I just don't know where to start.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2015 #2
    What in particular is causing you difficulties?

4. Feb 11, 2015 #3
    You have to tell us where you are. Are you a high schooler? In college? What level of math are you comfortable with, algebra, calculus, complex analysis, etc? What programming languages have you learned?

My first advice is to buy the book "Engineering Problem-Solving in C++" by Etter (I think) and read it and do the exercises.

5. Feb 11, 2015 #4

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Start at a community college, and TRY, try to get counseling, both from the official counselors and from currently successful students. How are you with Algebra? If none, then start in Pre-Algebra if possible. If you are good with Basic Math and Basic Arithmetic, then maybe "Algebra 1" would be a good first mathematics choice. Accept any lower course if the counseling assessment test indicates it.

6. Feb 13, 2015 #5
    I can tell by your name your not stupid, just read up on topics posted that you are interested in.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook