Former foster youth, need mentoring

In summary, the person is looking for someone to help them with their studies for computer science. They are self-sufficient, but would like guidance and support. They are good with math, but struggle with algebra. They are open to trying any lower level course if the counseling assessment test indicates it.
awk'/ward/'tux
Hello everyone, I'm not here to make a huge deal out of my past, but unfortunately I was dealt a few bad cards in the beginning. I really need someone that has studied computer science and kind of knows the ropes. I am very passionate about this, and I study 8 hours a day. But I feel lost under a pile of coursework I can't fully grasp. I don't know how to navigate college as my parents didn't even graduate high school. I was in and out of school until I became a foster kid Halfway through my freshman year of high school. I love math, but was just never able to get it due to the lack of schooling my former years.

If anyone would be interested, that would be great. I am pretty self dependant and can grow off of the direction I am sent in. I just don't know where to start.

Physics news on Phys.org
What in particular is causing you difficulties?

You have to tell us where you are. Are you a high schooler? In college? What level of math are you comfortable with, algebra, calculus, complex analysis, etc? What programming languages have you learned?

My first advice is to buy the book "Engineering Problem-Solving in C++" by Etter (I think) and read it and do the exercises.

Start at a community college, and TRY, try to get counseling, both from the official counselors and from currently successful students. How are you with Algebra? If none, then start in Pre-Algebra if possible. If you are good with Basic Math and Basic Arithmetic, then maybe "Algebra 1" would be a good first mathematics choice. Accept any lower course if the counseling assessment test indicates it.

I can tell by your name your not stupid, just read up on topics posted that you are interested in.

What is the definition of a former foster youth?

A former foster youth is an individual who has been in the foster care system at some point in their life, but has since aged out of the system and is no longer under the care of a foster family or the state.

Why do former foster youth need mentoring?

Former foster youth often face unique challenges and obstacles as they transition into adulthood without the support of a family. Mentoring can provide them with guidance, support, and resources to help them navigate this transition successfully.

What are some common challenges faced by former foster youth?

Some common challenges faced by former foster youth include financial instability, lack of support systems, difficulty accessing education and employment opportunities, and mental health issues.

Who can become a mentor for a former foster youth?

Anyone can become a mentor for a former foster youth, as long as they are willing to commit their time, energy, and resources to support and guide the young person. Many organizations and programs exist that specifically match mentors with former foster youth.

How can mentoring benefit former foster youth?

Mentoring can provide former foster youth with a positive role model, a support system, and practical skills and resources to help them succeed in various aspects of their life. It can also help them build self-confidence and improve their overall well-being.