Sources to study computational materials science

In summary, the individual is looking for a source to self-study computational materials science in their spare time while doing an internship. They mention taking a course but want to learn earlier and cannot find study materials. It is suggested to do a Google search, where the top hit is a journal called Computational Materials Science, and to contact the professor or department for further references.
planck999
Can you recommend me a source to self study computational materials science? I am currently doing an internship and want to study in my spare time for materials science. I will take a course named computational methods in materials science but I want to learn it earlier than that but I can't find any study materials for it. I know c programming and currently working on python.

Physics news on Phys.org
berkeman said:
Others can give you better advice on the best sources, but when I did a Google search on computational materials science the top hit was to a journal:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/journal/computational-materials-science

Do you have access to that journal through your university or internship? :smile:
Yes I have. Thanks. Since I am still an undergrad, I don't have experience on reading journal but I will give it a try.

Likes berkeman
planck999 said:
will take a course named computational methods in materials science but I want to learn it earlier than that but I can't find any study materials for it.
Why don't you contact the professor (or professors) who will be teaching it or who have taught it for references? If no professor is listed, ask the department secretary <ETA: for names of professors>.

Last edited:

1. What are the primary sources for studying computational materials science?

The primary sources for studying computational materials science include scientific journals, textbooks, conference proceedings, online databases, and research papers.

2. How do I access scientific journals and research papers related to computational materials science?

Scientific journals and research papers related to computational materials science can be accessed through online databases such as ScienceDirect, Wiley Online Library, and SpringerLink. Many universities also have subscriptions to these databases, allowing students and researchers to access them for free.

3. What are some recommended textbooks for studying computational materials science?

Some recommended textbooks for studying computational materials science include "Introduction to Computational Materials Science" by Richard LeSar, "Computational Materials Science: An Introduction" by June Gunn Lee, and "Materials Modelling Using Density Functional Theory: Properties and Predictions" by Feliciano Giustino.

4. Are there any online resources for learning about computational materials science?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning about computational materials science. Some examples include the Materials Project, the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) Materials Science and Engineering Data Gateway, and the Materials Science and Engineering Division of the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) website.

5. How can I stay updated on the latest developments in computational materials science?

To stay updated on the latest developments in computational materials science, you can follow relevant journals and research groups on social media, attend conferences and workshops, and join professional organizations such as the Materials Research Society (MRS) or the American Physical Society (APS) Division of Computational Physics.