Formula for credit card balance as a function of payments

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
3 replies · 2K views
barryj
Messages
856
Reaction score
51
I have been trying to find the financial formula that will give the balance of a credit card debt as a function of time. Example, at 18% interest, if I pay $150 a month how long will it take me to pay off my debt. When I google, I get pointers to Excello functions. I want to know the exact formula.
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
It all comes from the basic formula for an annuity

annuity_formula.svg

In your case the PV is the loan balance, P the payment, r the rate and n the number of periods - so you need to solve for n, so it’s easier to just iterate
 
BWV said:
It all comes from the basic formula for an annuity

annuity_formula.svg

In your case the PV is the loan balance, P the payment, r the rate and n the number of periods - so you need to solve for n, so it’s easier to just iterate

Taking logs is hardly difficult. [tex] n = \left.\log\left( \frac{P}{P - rPV}\right)\right/ \log(1 + r).[/tex] Having made [itex]\lfloor n \rfloor[/itex] payments, you will have one further payment of less than [itex]P[/itex] to make.

Solving for [itex]r[/itex] is the difficult one, as this is a polynomial of order [itex]n + 1[/itex] which cannot be solved analytically for [itex]n \geq 4[/itex] (although [itex]r = 0[/itex] is always a solution).
 
Last edited: