Formula for Diameter of Cylinder Using Height/Volume.

So, using your numbers, [tex]d= \sqrt{\frac{4(125.6)}{\pi 10}}= \sqrt{\frac{502.4}{31.4}}= 4.53[/itex] inches.In summary, the formula for finding the diameter of a cylinder using its volume and height is D = 2√(V/πh), where V is the volume, h is the height, and D is the diameter. This formula can be derived from the volume formula for a cylinder, V = πr²h, by solving for r and then multiplying by 2 for the diameter.
Jordin
I need the formula for finding the Diameter of a Cylinder using it's Volume and Height.

Thanks!

Here is the problem. Find Diameter of Cylinder.
Volume = 1256.64
Height = 16 Inches
Diameter = ?

On my own...

Knowing Volume = (Pi x Diameter Squared x Height) Divide by 4

I came up with this forumla for D?

D = Square Root of (4V/H/Pi)

Plugging in the numbers... D = 10 Inches?

Is there an easier forumla?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Well, what is the Cylinders volume is given by the product of the base circles area and its height. What is the circles area given by, in terms of the radius? How are the radius and diameter related?

PS: Welcome to Physics forums! =]

Well you that right, [tex]D= \sqrt{ \frac{4V}{h\pi}}[/tex]. Easiest formula there is lol. Would look nicer in terms of the radius though.

I know this thread is old but it is the only one I could find that is most relevant to my problem.

Can you explain it in terms of the radius?

I am trying to figure out the same type of problem and am horrid with roots.
I need to find the diameter given H=10m and V=125.6m cubed

Here is the formula I used to figured it but I think it is wrong.
(I don't know how to do all the fancy stuff so I will just type it out.)

v/h over Pi=r squared

Edit: I think I got it figured now

New formula I am using is v/h*Pi= r squared
Find the square root of r squared then multiply * 2 for the diameter

Last edited:
The volume of a cylinder of height h and radius r is [itex]V= \pi r^2h[/itex].
To solve that for the radius, divide both sides by [itex]\pi h[/itex] and take the square root:
[tex]r= \sqrt{\frac{V}{\pi h}[/itex]

The diameter is twice the radius, of course, so
[tex]d= 2\sqrt{\frac{V}{\pi h}= \sqrt{4V}{\pi h}[/itex]
because [itex]\sqrt{4}= 2[/itex].

1. What is the formula for calculating the diameter of a cylinder using the height and volume?

The formula for finding the diameter of a cylinder using its height and volume is:
d = √(4V/πh), where d is the diameter, V is the volume, and h is the height of the cylinder.

2. How do you use this formula to find the diameter of a cylinder?

To use this formula, you need to know the height and volume of the cylinder. Simply plug in these values into the formula and solve for the diameter.

3. Can this formula be used to find the diameter of any cylinder?

Yes, this formula can be used to find the diameter of any cylinder, as long as you know the height and volume of the cylinder.

4. What is the significance of this formula in scientific research?

This formula is useful in scientific research as it allows us to calculate the diameter of a cylinder using its height and volume. This information can be used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and chemistry.

5. Are there any alternative formulas for finding the diameter of a cylinder?

Yes, there are other formulas for finding the diameter of a cylinder, such as using the volume and surface area or using the circumference and height. However, the formula using the height and volume is the most commonly used and provides an accurate result.