1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Formula for Heavy Paraffinic Base Oil ?

1. Oct 20, 2006 #1
    Formula for "Heavy Paraffinic Base Oil"?

Is there a chemical formula for "Heavy Paraffinic Base Oil"? (like the base oil in motor oil) Or is it made up of other compounds and that's why I can't find a formula for it.? If so than I need to give a full description of the chemical with a formula so what would you use to fully describe in detail "Heavy Paraffinic Base Oil" if you can't use a formula? In other words how would someone know exactly which chemical you mean?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2006 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You're talking about a "distillation cut," or boiling point range, C-H ratio (degree of saturation), and, maybe, melting point range. How many different compounds in the mix? Don't think anyone's ever tried for a "global" assay.

4. Oct 20, 2006 #3
    A very large number of different hydrocarbons, most of which are chemically very similar; it's neither easy nor useful to identify them entirely. See for instance:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_refinery

It looks like motor oils are mixtures of hydrocarbons boiling above 400C, usually having >20 carbon atoms per molecule.

5. Oct 20, 2006 #4
    Just to give you an idea of the scale of things, if you only consider the alkanes with n=20 carbons, there are 366,319 structural isomers! I'm not sure how many of these are actually present in crude oil, but I'm sure it's a very large number (especially after catalytic cracking.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?