Alternatives to Shaded Pole Gearmotors for Oil Skimmer application

• Thread starter kunalv
  • Start date
kunalv
Hello, so I am building an Oil Skimmer for my VMC. The skimmer has 2 gearmotors, one for the belt rotation and another one for a fan which I would like to immerse in the coolant to create a vortex (Got this idea off Youtube!)

I am using two Shaded Pole AC Gearmotors for this application which I had in stock with me but upon running the machine I have found the RPM to be on the lower side. Attaching a pic of the machine build for reference.

I have since spoken with some local manufacturers who did not seem too convinced of their motors suiting my application. So my questions are :
1. Which other gearmotors can I use for this? They need to be small, compact, lightweight. And preferably cheap.
2. How do I control their speed?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
KV
WhatsApp Image 2024-02-10 at 14.26.44.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
kunalv said:
Hello, so I am building an Oil Skimmer for my VMC.
What is a VMC ?

Likes berkeman
We need more information.

Does this system run 24 hours per day and 7 days per week, for an hour or so per week, or somewhere in between?

What is the RPM and power of the existing motors?

What RPM, or range of RPM, do you want?

We need all of this information. For example, if it only runs a few hours per week, you don't care what it looks like, and you can fabricate some mountings, one possibility is a low cost electric drill:
Drill.jpg

The speed can be controlled a screw pushing on the trigger speed control, and they are available cheap. But they are not suitable for 24/7 operation because the brushes wear out.

Shaded pole gearmotors are available in a wide range of speeds and power. This is a page from the McMaster-Carr catalog showing one type of gearmotor. They have a large selection of other types. I do not know if they ship to your country, but this gives an idea of what is available:

Gearmotor.jpg

You will need to spend some time finding what speed and power you need. You might find that you could use, for example, a variable speed drill to find the speed, then buy a gearmotor for that speed.

Likes dlgoff