1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Formulas for interest Interest

1. Oct 9, 2006 #1
    Today I was watching my sister do her Financial homework and I tryed to do one of them problems it said something about haveing 5000 bucks at 9% interest for 6 years and you had to find how much you would have.

And so I tryed to use the compound interest formula P=A(1+(r/n)^rt but we both got totaly different anwers. She did it on a standar issued financial caculator.

So is that the formula for compound interest? P=A(1+(r/n)^rt. And is this how you plug it in? P=5,000(1+(.09/6)^(.09*6)

Also what are other interest raletaed equations and state what goes in the variables.

All the other ones that I know are:

Compound Interest: P=A(1+(r/n)^rt

Compound Interest Continusly: P=e^rt

Rule of 72

Rule of 82

Simple Interest: You dont really need a formula for this one, all that happens is that your you only earn interest on your original amound earns interst.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2006 #2
    The formula for compound interest is: [tex] P(1+\frac{r}{n})^{nt} [/tex] not [tex] P(1+\frac{r}{n})^{rt} [/tex] So:

[tex] A = 5000(1+\frac{0.09}{1})^{6} = 8385.5 [/tex], assuming that it is returned once per year.
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2006
  4. Oct 13, 2006 #3
    I never remember the compound interest formula. I just express a 9% increase as 1.09. Then the answer just becomes [tex]5000(1.09^6)[/tex]

I just find this method easier to remember tbh..although it's basically the same thing.
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2006
  5. Oct 13, 2006 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That's assuming it is compounded annually. Surely the problem said something more than just "5000 bucks at 9% interest for 6 years". Didn't it say something like "simple interest" or "compounded monthly", "compounded annually", etc.?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?