1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Formulating an Eigenvector Equation

1. Mar 16, 2014 #1
    Hello. I am working on a project with a double pendulum and I am currently looking for the normal mode frequencies. I don't think that's too important to answer my question, but in the derivation I hit a point that look like this:[itex](K-M\omega^{2})\alpha=0.[/itex] Here, K and M are 2x2 square matrices. I want to solve for the eigenvalue here, but this doesn't follow the form that I normally have with eigenvector equations. If I rearrange this, I get [itex]K\alpha=M\omega^{2}\alpha[/itex] which has a matrix on each side. Naturally I thought to multiply by the inverse of M on both sides to get [itex]M^{-1}K\alpha=\omega^{2}\alpha.[/itex] However, this didn't give the correct result. Why not? How should it be done?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2014 #2

maajdl

Gold Member

You must have K or M wrong, or both.
    Check again, or submit the original problem and your approach here.

4. Mar 16, 2014 #3

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Finding the eigenvalues of ##M^{-1}K## works. You must have made a mistake somewhere.

But you don't need to do that. Just find the determinant of ##K-\omega^2M##, and find the values of ##\omega## that make it zero.

$$\left|\begin{matrix} k_{11}-\omega^2m_{11} & k_{12}-\omega^2m_{12} \\
    k_{21}-\omega^2m_{21} & k_{22}-\omega^2m_{22} \end{matrix} \right| = (k_{11}-\omega^2m_{11})(k_{22}-\omega^2m_{22}) - (k_{12}-\omega^2m_{12})(k_{21}-\omega^2m_{21}) $$

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted