Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fortran 90: Display values in an array

1. Oct 31, 2015 #1
    I have a program that calculates the Fibonacci numbers from 1 to 100. The program runs fine. I am not sure how to take my output and display them in an ARRAY. Any ideas?

I tired to pass the array variable through the equation, but my output was weird. I would have 1, 1, 3347...... Basically, I would get the first two values, and then once the program entered my do loop, I would get very high integer values . I tried to use a DO loop at the end of the program, but I was unsuccessful.
    EXAMPLE:
    Fibonacci(i) = Fibonacci(i-1) + Fibonacci(i-2)

Code (Fortran):

Program large_integers
            IMPLICIT NONE
            Integer , PARAMETER :: M = 100

Integer, DIMENSION (M)  ::FIBONACCI
             integer, parameter :: IK = selected_real_kind(25)
            Integer (IK) ::  fn, f2, f1
            INTEGER :: n,  I
            !allocate (FIBONACCI(fn))
            ! OPEN(14, FILE = "MY_FIBONACCI.out", ACTION = "WRITE", STATUS = "unknown")

f1 = 1
            f2 = 1

IF (m >= 1) THEN
                PRINT *, f2
            END IF

IF (m >= 2) THEN
                PRINT *, f1
              END IF

DO n=4,m
                fn = f1 + f2
                  PRINT *, fn
                f2 = f1
                f1 = fn
            END DO

!DO i = 1, m
                !write (14,*) FIBONACCI(fn)
            !END do

CLOSE(14)

END Program large_integers
    [ / code ]

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2015 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

What do you mean, "display them in an array"? I think you might be confused as to what an array is, as you asked a similar question in another thread.
    An array is a computer data structure in which each element is accessed by an index. You can display the numbers in the array, but I don't have any idea what you mean by saying you want to display them in an array.

If you have filled the elements in an array, you can use a loop to print them out, like so:
    Code (Fortran):

! Assumes the array Arr has already been initialized, and N is initialized to the size of the array
    do i = 1, N
       print *, Arr[i]
    end do

4. Nov 1, 2015 #3
    I did ask this question before. This is what I had initially. The output was not correct. How do I initialize the array?

Code (Fortran):

IMPLICIT NONE
            Integer , PARAMETER :: M = 100
            Real, DIMENSION (M) ::FIBBONACCI
            INTEGER :: I, N

OPEN(14, FILE = "MY_FIBONACCI.out", ACTION = "WRITE", STATUS = "unknown")

FIBBONACCI(1) = 1
            FIBBONACCI(2) = 1

do i=1, m
                    FIBBONACCI(i) = FIBBONACCI(i-2) + FIBBONACCI(i-F1)
                    WRITE (14,*) I, FIBBONACCI(i)
                    print *, I, Fibbonacci(i)
    end do

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
  5. Nov 1, 2015 #4

Mark44

Minor point -- you're putting in an extra ending code tag. At the end of your code there should be a [/code] tag. Omit the one that looks like this: [ / code]

Your loop needs to start at 3, not 1, since you have already assigned values to fibbonacci(1) and fibbonacci(2). BTW, there should only be one 'b' in Fibonacci, but of course that doesn't affect how your program works.

In the first line of your do loop, the last expression should be FIBBONACCI(i-1), not FIBBONACCI(i-F1).

6. Nov 1, 2015 #5
  7. Nov 1, 2015 #6
    How can I access those pdf notes. My PP slides are not adequate.

8. Nov 1, 2015 #7
    What does this error mean? I have looked up the error, but I'm on a mac. I am running the file on a server, using fortran:

[parksse3@compile ~]$ gfortran FIBBONACCI_NUMBER.f90 -o MY_FIBONACCI.out
    [parksse3@compile ~]$ ./MY_FIBONACCI.out
    At line 9 of file FIBBONACCI_NUMBER.f90 (unit = 14, file = '')
    Fortran runtime error: Text file busy

9. Nov 1, 2015 #8

Mark44

Can't you just open the pdf?
    On my computer, I have to click OK on a blank Adobe Reader dialog box, and then I have to refresh the browser to open the file.

10. Nov 1, 2015 #9
    I can access the pdf. I was asking for other material on fortran.

11. Nov 1, 2015 #10

Mark44

You had this problem before, as I recall. Your executable is MY_FIBONACCI.out, so you can't open it for writing while your program is running. Give you output file a different name -- that should work.

12. Nov 1, 2015 #11
    That makes sense.

I was looking for a link to the pdf slides. The link posted above is Lecture 5. Is there a way I can view all lecture slides??

13. Nov 1, 2015 #12

Mark44

I don't have a fortran compiler, but when I have a question about some aspect of fortran, I just do a web search, such as "fortran array", which gives me a lot of hits. I'm sure there are lots of fortran textbooks around -- check on Amazon, and lots of online tutorials.

14. Nov 1, 2015 #13
    Thank you

15. Nov 1, 2015 #14

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

FORTRAN has a list directed write feature that will print a formatted text output of a list of variables, including an array

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook