Fortran to resolve Heat tranfers problem

In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help with a program to solve a heat transfer problem in a book by Patankar. The problem involves using the CDS and Upwind methods on a uniform meshgrid with grid refinement. The person has tried writing some code but is having issues with the temperature output. They are seeking further assistance and someone mentions a book by Versteeg and Malalasekera that may be helpful.
giber
i need to know if someowne can help me with a program that i have to do to resolve a heat problem of the Patankat(autor) book. exercise 5.1 is the problem and to solve it i need to use the upwind method and the CDS method..

please help
thanks

Technology news on Phys.org
We need more information and what have you done so far?

i have to do a program in fortran to resolve this problem.

it´s a problrm of convective heat transfer, bi-dimensional with generation of heat on a uniform meshgrid. if you know, it´s a problem from the book "Numerical Heat Transfer and Fluid Flow_Suhas V. Patankar_1980" - exercice 5.1.

the problem as to be solve using the CDS esquem and the Upwind esquem

than i have to make the grid refinement and compare the results of the esquem i use...

Attachments

• convection problem.jpg
    convection problem.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 471
Last edited:
You're going to need to show us more. What have you tried, and what kind of problems are you having? This isn't an all-you-can-eat code buffet, you've got to prepare your own meals.

were is some code i have made

were is some code i have made but the temperature is wrong in the end...
i´m using the method line-by-line with the TDMA in the vertical

Attachments

• patankar.txt
    2.2 KB · Views: 487
I am a new user of FORTRAN, Plz help me to solve a problem
Example 5.2,An introduction to computatinal fluid dynamics,The finite volume method.-H.K.Versteeg and W.Malalasekera. page-104.
I would be very gradefule if anybody help me
Yours truly
Taher

Hi Giber,

I read your code and I notice that you were missing the iterative loop in the cycle. I am doing the same problem and I also have problems with my code. Were you able to finish that one? I am driving crazy with mine!

1. What is Fortran?

Fortran is a high-level programming language used for scientific and engineering applications. It was developed in the 1950s and is still widely used today for its efficient handling of mathematical and scientific computations.

2. What is the purpose of using Fortran to resolve heat transfer problems?

Fortran is well-suited for solving complex mathematical equations, making it a suitable choice for resolving heat transfer problems, which involve solving differential equations. It also has built-in functions for handling arrays and matrices, which are crucial for these types of calculations.

3. Are there any disadvantages to using Fortran for heat transfer problems?

Some potential disadvantages of using Fortran for heat transfer problems include its steep learning curve, as it is a low-level language, and its lack of modern features such as object-oriented programming. Additionally, it may not be the best choice for problems that require a lot of string manipulation.

4. Can Fortran be used for other types of scientific problems?

Yes, Fortran is widely used for various scientific and engineering applications, including weather forecasting, computational fluid dynamics, and computational chemistry. It is particularly well-suited for problems that involve heavy numerical computations.

5. Is Fortran still relevant in modern scientific research?

Absolutely. While other programming languages have gained popularity in recent years, Fortran remains a widely used and trusted language for scientific computing. Many legacy codes and libraries are written in Fortran, and it continues to be used in new research and applications due to its speed, efficiency, and stability.