1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Four forces are acting simultaneously on a sack: vectors

1. Oct 16, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Four forces are acting simultaneously on a sack,Their magnitude are given as 200N.150N,175N,250N.THE ANGLE B/W 200N AND 150N IS 64DEGREE, AND B/W 150N AND 175N IS 59DEGREE AND B/W 175N AND 250N IS 74DEGREE.FIND THE RESULTANT FORCE ACTING ON THE SACK?

i need immediate assistance with explanation...

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2011 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Re: vectors

Start by drawing a diagram showing the forces and the angles between them. I would arbitrarily put the first force pointing in the x-direction.

4. Oct 16, 2011 #3

lewando

Gold Member

Are the forces pushing or pulling on the sack?

5. Oct 16, 2011 #4

pulling

6. Oct 16, 2011 #5

i am telling u a complete link about this question, its is from A level mechanics and the chapter is vector and its in the examples next to exercise 3a...page is 57.. plz give me a detailed explanation
    http://books.google.com.pk/books?id...A level mechanics&pg=PA57#v=onepage&q&f=false

7. Oct 16, 2011 #6

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

OK, so they give you the diagram. You can do as the book suggests, and add the vectors graphically. They give you that solution. Or you can use the method of components (that's what I would do).

Call the 200 N force to point in the x-direction. Now find the components of each force. Just add them up to find the resultant.

8. Oct 16, 2011 #7

ok dear

9. Oct 16, 2011 #8

still not getting the answer u plz resolve it urself and find the resultant force

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook