Can we add two vectors that are not acting simultaneously using vector addition?

In summary: In this case, the resulting force would depend on the specific circumstances and cannot be determined just by adding the two forces. In summary, the concept of vector addition and vector algebra is typically applied to simultaneous forces, not forces that are applied one after the other. The direction and timing of the forces play a crucial role in determining the resulting force, and they cannot be simply added together using the vector law of addition.
prashant singh
Suppose if I applied a 4N force and then 2N force on an object , what will be total force. Note I didn't said simoultaneously, I mean one after the other, then what will be the total force , I think 6N , i know about vector sum and etc.. but I think this question doesn't makes any sense. What's your opinion. vector addition and vector algebra is applied for simoultaneous force(vectors).

Mathematics news on Phys.org
What's the direction of the forces?

No. A time sequence of forces is not equivalent to the sum of those forces at a single time. If you graphed the acceleration and associated velocities over time, you would see that you will not get the same result from the two cases.

I think this question doesn't makes any sense because vector algebra is applied for simooultaneous vectors(here force). I think direction doesn't matters but u can take both in same direction.

prashant singh said:
I think this question doesn't makes any sense because vector algebra is applied for simooultaneous vectors(here force). I think direction doesn't matters but u can take both in same direction.
That depends on how you are using the vectors. If a person moves from A to B and then from B to C, you can add two motion vectors AB and BC to get the total motion vector AC. But force doesn't work that way.

prashant singh said:
Suppose if I applied a 4N force and then 2N force on an object , what will be total force. Note I didn't said simoultaneously, I mean one after the other, then what will be the total force , I think 6N
The magnitudes of the forces add like this only if the forces are acting in the same direction.

prashant singh said:
I think direction doesn't matters but u can take both in same direction.
Of course the direction matters.

Also, "textspeak" such as "u" for "you" is not allowed at this site.

Likes prashant singh
Okk sorry for using u
Mark44 said:
The magnitudes of the forces add like this only if the forces are acting in the same direction.

Of course the direction matters.

Also, "textspeak" such as "u" for "you" is not allowed at this site.

Can we add two vectors which are not acting simoultaneously by the vector law of addition.
FactChecker said:
That depends on how you are using the vectors. If a person moves from A to B and then from B to C, you can add two motion vectors AB and BC to get the total motion vector AC. But force doesn't work that way.

Last edited by a moderator:
prashant singh said:
Can we add two vectors which are not acting simoultaneously by the vector law of addition.
I don't think that makes sense. If you have some object that is moving along a path, and you apply a force to it, that force could cause the object to change direction (or not, all depending on the direction of the force and the direction the object is moving). If later a different force is applied, then that could cause a different resulting direction for the object. To the best of my knowledge, you don't add vectors that aren't acting simultaneously (simoultaneously is not a word).

Also, if the two forces are applied at different times (i.e., not simultaneously), how much time elapses between the times of the two forces? One second, one hour, one week, ten years?

Last edited:
Likes prashant singh
Exactly
Mark44 said:
I don't think that makes sense. If you have some object that is moving along a path, and you apply a force to it, that force could cause the object to change direction (or not, all depending on the direction of the force and the direction the object is moving). If later a different force is applied, then that could cause a different resulting direction for the object. To the best of my knowledge, you don't add vectors that aren't acting simultaneously (simoultaneously is not a word).

Also, if the two forces are applied at different times (i.e., not simultaneously), how much time elapses between the times of the two forces? One second, one hour, one week, ten years?

prashant singh said:
You can if it makes sense for the context of the situation . For instance a displacement of 3km due north followed by a displacement of 4km due east. Those displacement vectors can be added to give the overall displacement.

This sort of vector addition does not make sense if one force is followed by a second force.

Likes prashant singh

Related to Can we add two vectors that are not acting simultaneously using vector addition?

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a quantity that has both magnitude and direction. It is often represented by an arrow, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude and the direction of the arrow representing the direction.

2. How do you add vectors?

To add vectors, you must first ensure that they are in the same direction. Then, you can simply add the magnitudes of the vectors to get the resulting magnitude. The direction of the resulting vector can be found using trigonometric functions.

3. What is the difference between a scalar and a vector?

A scalar is a quantity that only has magnitude, while a vector has both magnitude and direction. Some examples of scalars are temperature, mass, and time. Examples of vectors include velocity, force, and displacement.

4. Can vectors have negative magnitudes?

Yes, vectors can have negative magnitudes. This indicates that the vector is pointing in the opposite direction of its positive counterpart. For example, a vector with a magnitude of -5 will have the same direction as a vector with a magnitude of 5, but will be pointing in the opposite direction.

5. What is the difference between vector sum and vector product?

The vector sum, also known as vector addition, is the process of combining two or more vectors to get a resulting vector. The vector product, on the other hand, is the process of multiplying two vectors to get a resulting scalar or vector. There are different types of vector products, such as dot product and cross product, which have different calculations and applications.