Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier Basis functions question

1. Jun 3, 2009 #1
    Hi,
    the continuous Fourier Transform is often defined on a finite interval, usually [tex][-\pi,\pi][/tex]:

[tex]\hat{f_k} = \frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\pi}^{\pi}f(x)e^{-ikx}dx[/tex]

If I understood correctly, this allows the basis functions to be defined so that they have norm=1, and they form an orthonormal basis for [tex]L^2([-\pi,\pi])[/tex].
    Now, I get confused when one tries to compute the FT of a function f in the whole [tex]\mathcal{R}[/tex] because:

1) The 2-norm of the basis functions goes to [tex]+\infty[/tex]
    2) They are not square integrable
    3) Should I conclude that the basis-functions are orthogonal but NOT orthonormal?
    4) If (1,2,3) are correct, then what is the space spanned by the basis-functions?
    5) Is it possible to define an orthonormal basis for [tex]L^2(\mathcal{R})[/tex] with Fourier basis ?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 3, 2009 #2
    I'm not familiar with a 2-norm but the basis is normalised "in my book" like so:

[tex]\int_{-\pi}^{\pi}\phi_{k}^{*}\phi_{k}dx = \frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\pi}^{\pi}e^{+ikx}e^{-ikx}dx = \frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\pi}^{\pi}dx = 1 [/tex]

---

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2009
  4. Jun 3, 2009 #3
    Maybe I used an incorrect term, but indeed, you proved that the squared norm of the basis-functions are always 1.
    The important points of my question (1,2,3,4,5) arise when the bounds of the integral are not anymore [tex][-\pi,\pi][/tex] but they become [tex](-\infty,+\infty)[/tex]

Basically, I wanted you to consider:
    [tex]\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}\phi_{k}^{*}\phi_{k}dx[/tex]
    and then, answer those questions.

5. Jun 4, 2009 #4
    I see what you mean now. In this case, I think you cannot define the basis.
    But maybe there is a way to expand functions in an unnormalised basis.

---

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook