Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier Series complex coefficients

1. Apr 6, 2014 #1
    I have been trying to follow how the complex Fourier coefficients are obtained; the reference I am using is at www.thefouriertransform.com. However I am unable to follow the author's working exactly and wondered if anyone could help me see where I am going wrong.

First, I understand that the coefficient [itex]c_n=\frac{1}{T}\int^T_0 f(t) e^{\frac{-i2\pi nt}{T}}dt[/itex]

Given a square wave, of period 2T, and amplitude :

http://s90.photobucket.com/user/jonnburton/media/SqareWave_zpsbdf193c1.jpg.html

It can be seen directly from the graph that [itex]c_0=\frac{1}{2}[/itex] (I also managed to calculate this, too.)

But I can't follow how the author obtained expressions for [itex]c_n[/itex].

This is what I have done in attempt to obtain [itex]c_n[/itex]:

[itex]c_n=\frac{1}{T}\int^{\frac{T}{2}}_0 1 \cdot e^{\frac{-i2\pi nt}{T}}dt[/itex]

[tex]\frac{1}{T}\left[\frac{T e^{\frac{-i2\pi nt}{T}}}{i2\pi n}\right]^{\frac{T}{2}}_0[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{T}\left[\left(\frac{T e^{-in\pi}}{in2\pi}\right)-\left(\frac{T}{in2\pi}\right)\right][/tex]

[tex]\left(\frac{e^{-in\pi}}{in2\pi}-\frac{1}{in2\pi}\right)[/tex]

However, the expression the author finds is:

[tex]\frac{1}{i\pi n}[/tex] for odd n, and zero for even n.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2014 #2
    You seem to be missing a minus sign in your integral.

Also, simply for consistency, the limits you originally give (between 0 and T) aren't the limits you say you end up using (between 0 and T/2).

Lastly, what is [itex] e^{-in\pi} [/itex] for odd/even [itex] n [/itex]? Recall [itex] e^{in\pi} = cos(n\pi) + isin(n\pi) [/itex].

4. Apr 6, 2014 #3
    Thanks for the hints Silversonic. I will go back through it again but I think I can see how this works out now!

(I just changed the limits because I though it wasn't necessary to integrate beyond [itex]\frac{T}{2}[/itex] because the function there is zero.)

5. Apr 6, 2014 #4
    Okay, the picture won't load for me. That could be an issue on my end.

6. Apr 6, 2014 #5
    Not sure why it wasn't working; I've just typed the URL in again and I think it's OK now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook