1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier Series in cylindrical coordinate

1. May 25, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Here is my question
    1380578000_1464176740.png

2. Relevant equations
    I don't know with what formula does the book find fourier series?

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2016 #2
    Have you tried writing an expression for the current?

4. May 27, 2016 #3
    Hello deskswirl
    Yes , But I know the fourier series for 2-dimensional in cartesian coordinate not cylindrical fourier series.I can do and follow the math procedures.I want to know the main formula that I can derive above equation.

5. May 29, 2016 #4
    One of the most general forms for the Fourier-Bessel series is given by:
    $$\sum\limits_{q}{\sum\limits_{p}{\left\{ \begin{matrix} {{J}_{p}}\left( qr \right) \\ {{Y}_{p}}\left( qr \right)\\\end{matrix} \right\}\left\{ \begin{matrix}
    \sin \left( p\phi \right) \\ \cos (p\phi ) \\\end{matrix} \right\}\left\{ \begin{matrix} {{e}^{qz}} \\ {{e}^{-qz}} \\\end{matrix} \right\}}}$$
    Another is found by letting $$q\to iq$$ in the above expression. These are the two primary solutions of Laplace's equation in circular-cylinder coordinates. Typically due to the symmetry of the problem in phi or z the expression becomes simpler.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted