1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Fourier series summation in David Griffiths' textbook

1. Feb 16, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This isn't really a homework question, but something I've been wanting to know out of curiosity in David Griffiths' Introduction to Electrodynamics.

On pages 131 and 132, there is a Fourier series,

[tex]V(x,y) = \frac{4V_0}{\pi}\sum_{n=1,3,5...}\frac{1}{n}e^{\frac{-n \pi x}{a}}\sin{\frac{n \pi y}{a}}[/tex]

The author then says that the series can be rewritten as

[tex]V(x,y) = \frac{2V_0}{\pi} \arctan{\frac{\sin{\frac{\pi y}{a}}}{\sinh{\frac{\pi x}{a}}}}[/tex]

The author says "the infinite series ... can be summed explicitly (try your hand at it, if you like) ..." so I got curious and decided to take a shot at it.

I have been trying to figure out how to get this result all day, but after a few sheets of paper, I am still lost... Any help would be much appreciated.

P.S. I have not taken a course on complex analysis.

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\sin{u} = \frac{e^{iu}-e^{-iu}}{2i}[/tex]
    [tex]\sinh{u} = \frac{e^{u}-e^{-u}}{2}[/tex]
    [tex]\arctan{u} = \frac{i}{2}\ln{\frac{1-iu}{1+iu}}[/tex]
    [tex]\arctan{u} = \sum_{n=0}^{\inf} \frac{(-1)^n}{2n+1} u^{2n+1}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2010 #2

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Most of these summations are done using clever applications of the Taylor expansion for the logarithm:

[tex]\ln (1 + z) = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^{n+1}}{n} z^n[/tex]

Notice that your Fourier series has a 1/n in it. However, in your case, n is odd! So you'll have to play a bit with the formulas to get a series with only odd coefficients. Notice that

[tex]\ln (1+z^2)[/tex]

will give a series with only even terms. Also, you can use Euler's formula

[tex]e^{a+ib} = e^a \cos b + i e^a \sin b[/tex]

and so in particular, you can take the imaginary part:

[tex]\Im \left[ e^{a+ib} \right] = e^a \sin b[/tex]

So why don't you play around with those things and see if you can sum the series.

4. Jun 24, 2011 #3
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook