Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier Series Transform Proof Help

1. Feb 7, 2008 #1
    Can someone fill in the blank between these two steps? I can't find fourier series proof anywhere and my professor just left it out.

(1) y(t+nT)=y(t)

(2) y(t)=[tex]A_{0}[/tex] + [tex]\Sigma^{\infty}_{n=1}[/tex][[tex]A_{n}[/tex]cos(n[tex]\omega[/tex]t) + [tex]B_{n}[/tex]sin(n[tex]\omega[/tex]t)]

(The omega is going crazy on me... it's not supposed to be superscripted, just multiplied by n and t)
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What do you mean by "steps between them"? The first just says y is periodic with period T and the second is the general expression of a Fourier series of a function periodic with period [itex]2\pi/\omega[/itex]- there is no mention of "T".

As for the LaTex, I would recommend putting the entire thing in [ t e x] not just individual parts:

[tex]y(t)=A_{0}+ \Sigma^{\infty}_{n=1}[A_{n}cos(n\omega t) + B_{n}sin(n\omega t)][/tex]

It looks better and is easier to type!
  4. Feb 8, 2008 #3
    I would say that a general "Fourier expansion" is actually an integral. What (1) implies is that the modes are discrete and thus the integral becomes a sum, and therefore [itex]\omega=2 \pi/T [/itex], as Halls mentioned. Maybe this is the missing step you mean?
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2008
  5. Feb 28, 2010 #4
    have u find the gap between those two statements[evotunedscc]?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?