How can we extend the solution of an initial value problem using Fourier series?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to use Fourier series to solve initial value problems, specifically the problem of finding the solution to $y''+\omega^2y=\sin{nt}, y(0)=0, y'(0)=0$ where $n$ is a natural number and $\omega^2 \neq n^2$. The conversation also touches on what happens if $\omega^2=n^2$, the use of Fourier transforms, and the restrictions on periodicity for Fourier series. The conversation concludes by discussing the solution to the problem and finding the value of $y(t)$.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wave)

The following problem shall show the way with which the Fourier series can be used for the solution of initial value problems.Find the solution of the initial value problem

$$y''+ \omega^2 y=\sin{nt}, y(0)=0, y'(0)=0$$

where $n$ is a natural number and $\omega^2 \neq n^2$. What happens if $\omega^2=n^2$ ?

How can we use Fourier series in order to solve the above problem?

Do we set $y(t)=\frac{a_0}{2}+ \sum_{m=1}^{\infty} \left( a_m \cos{\frac{m \pi t}{L}}+ b_m \sin{\frac{m \pi t}{L}}\right)$ where

$a_m=\frac{1}{L} \int_{-L}^{L} f(t) \cos{\frac{m \pi t}{L}} dt$ and $b_m=\frac{1}{L} \int_{-L}^{L} f(t) \sin{\frac{m \pi t}{L}} dt$ ? (Thinking)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey evinda! (Smile)

When $\omega^2=n^2$, I think we'll get into trouble later on when doing the Fourier transforms.
We'll see soon enough.

Those Fourier series have the restriction that the function has to be periodic with period $2L$.
Can we assume that? (Wondering)

Otherwise we should use one of the non-periodic Fourier transforms like:
$$Y(\nu)=\mathscr F[y(t)](\nu) = \int_{-\infty}^\infty y(t)e^{-i\nu t}dt \quad\leftrightarrow\quad
y(t)=\mathscr F^{-1}[Y(\nu)](t)= \frac 1{2\pi} \int_{-\infty}^\infty Y(\nu)e^{i\nu t}d\nu
$$

To solve an initial value problem like yours, we take the Fourier transform $\mathscr F$ of both sides of the equation, solve for $Y(\nu)$, and apply the inverse Fourier transform.
In particular, we can use that:
$$\mathscr F[y''(t)](\nu) = (i\nu)^2 Y(\nu)$$
which follows from the definition. (Thinking)

I like Serena said:
Those Fourier series have the restriction that the function has to be periodic with period $L$.
Can we assume that? (Wondering)

Yes, we can assume this.

In my notes, we have the following formula of the Fourier series:

$$f(x)=\frac{a_0}{2}+ \sum_{m=1}^{\infty} \left( a_m \cos{\frac{m \pi x}{L}}+ b_m \sin{\frac{m \pi x}{L}}\right)$$where $a_m=\frac{1}{L} \int_{-L}^L f(x) \cos{\frac{m \pi x}{L}} dx, m=0,1,2, \dots$

and

$b_m=\frac{1}{L} \int_{-L}^{L} f(x) \sin{\frac{m\pi x}{L}} dx, m=1,2, \dots$

and the period is then $2L$.

So how could we use these Fourier series? (Thinking)

evinda said:
Yes, we can assume this.

In my notes, we have the following formula of the Fourier series:

$$f(x)=\frac{a_0}{2}+ \sum_{m=1}^{\infty} \left( a_m \cos{\frac{m \pi x}{L}}+ b_m \sin{\frac{m \pi x}{L}}\right)$$where $a_m=\frac{1}{L} \int_{-L}^L f(x) \cos{\frac{m \pi x}{L}} dx, m=0,1,2, \dots$

and

$b_m=\frac{1}{L} \int_{-L}^{L} f(x) \sin{\frac{m\pi x}{L}} dx, m=1,2, \dots$

and the period is then $2L$.

So how could we use these Fourier series? (Thinking)

What would we get if we write $y(t)$ instead of $f(x)$? And substitute into the DE? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
What would we get if we write $y(t)$ instead of $f(x)$? And substitute into the DE? (Wondering)

First of all, we have that $y,y'$ are piecewiese continuous since $y''$ is defined.
And because of that and the fact that we assume that $y$ is periodic with period $2L$ we know that $y$ can be written as a Fourier series. Right?

So let $y(t)=\frac{a_0}{2}+ \sum_{m=1}^{\infty} \left( a_m \cos{\frac{m \pi t}{L}}+ b_m \sin{\frac{m \pi t}{L}} \right)$.

Then we have $$y'(t)=\sum_{m=1}^{\infty} \left( -a_m \frac{m \pi}{L} \sin{\frac{m \pi t}{L}}+ b_m \frac{m \pi}{L} \cos{\frac{m \pi t}{L}} \right)$$

and

$$y''(t)=\sum_{m=1}^{\infty} \left( -a_m \left( \frac{m \pi }{L}\right)^2 \cos{\frac{m \pi t}{L}}- b_m \left( \frac{m \pi}{L}\right)^2 \sin{\frac{m \pi t}{L}}\right)$$

So we get

$$\sum_{m=1}^{\infty} \left( -a_m \left( \frac{m \pi }{L}\right)^2 \cos{\frac{m \pi t}{L}}- b_m \left( \frac{m \pi}{L}\right)^2 \sin{\frac{m \pi t}{L}}\right)+ \omega^2 \frac{a_0}{2}+ \omega^2 \sum_{m=1}^{\infty} \left( a_m \cos{\frac{m \pi t}{L}}+ b_m \sin{\frac{m \pi t}{L}} \right)=\sin{nt}$$Do we deduce from this that $a_m=0, \forall m \geq 0$ and $b_m \neq 0$ only if $\frac{m \pi}{L} =n$ ?EDIT: And we will then also get that $b_{\frac{nL}{\pi}}=\frac{1}{\omega^2-n^2}$, right?

Last edited:
evinda said:
First of all, we have that $y,y'$ are piecewiese continuous since $y''$ is defined.
And because of that and the fact that we assume that $y$ is periodic with period $2L$ we know that $y$ can be written as a Fourier series. Right?

I believe we need that $y$ is continuous, and that $y'$ has to be square integrable.
See for instance this page.

evinda said:
So let $y(t)=\frac{a_0}{2}+ \sum_{m=1}^{\infty} \left( a_m \cos{\frac{m \pi t}{L}}+ b_m \sin{\frac{m \pi t}{L}} \right)$.

Then we have $$y'(t)=\sum_{m=1}^{\infty} \left( -a_m \frac{m \pi}{L} \sin{\frac{m \pi t}{L}}+ b_m \frac{m \pi}{L} \cos{\frac{m \pi t}{L}} \right)$$

and

$$y''(t)=\sum_{m=1}^{\infty} \left( -a_m \left( \frac{m \pi }{L}\right)^2 \cos{\frac{m \pi t}{L}}- b_m \left( \frac{m \pi}{L}\right)^2 \sin{\frac{m \pi t}{L}}\right)$$

So we get

$$\sum_{m=1}^{\infty} \left( -a_m \frac{m \pi}{L} \sin{\frac{m \pi t}{L}}+ b_m \frac{m \pi}{L} \cos{\frac{m \pi t}{L}} \right)+ \omega^2 \frac{a_0}{2}+ \omega^2 \sum_{m=1}^{\infty} \left( a_m \cos{\frac{m \pi t}{L}}+ b_m \sin{m t} \right)=\sin{nt}$$Do we deduce from this that $b_m=0 \forall m>0$ and $a_m=0, \forall m$ such that $\frac{m \pi}{L} \neq n$ ?

Shouldn't that be:
$$\sum_{m=1}^{\infty} \left( -a_m (\frac{m \pi}{L})^2 \cos{\frac{m \pi t}{L}} - b_m (\frac{m \pi}{L})^2 \sin{\frac{m \pi t}{L}} \right)+ \omega^2 \frac{a_0}{2}+ \omega^2 \sum_{m=1}^{\infty} \left( a_m \cos{\frac{m \pi t}{L}}+ b_m \sin{\frac{m \pi t}{L}} \right)=\sin{nt}$$
$$\quad \Rightarrow\quad\omega^2 \frac{a_0}{2}+ \sum_{m=1}^{\infty} a_m \left(\omega^2 - (\frac{m \pi}{L})^2\right)\cos{\frac{m \pi t}{L}}+ \sum_{m=1}^{\infty} b_m \left(\omega^2 - (\frac{m \pi}{L})^2\right) \sin{\frac{m \pi t}{L}} =\sin{nt}$$
(Wondering)

If we make the assumption that the period is $2\pi$, it becomes simpler yet.
And since $\{\cos mt, \sin mt\}$ is a basis, it follows that $a_m = 0$ for every $m$, and $b_m \left(\omega^2 - m^2\right) = \delta_{mn}$.
Can we solve for $b_m$ and find $y(t)$? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
I believe we need that $y$ is continuous, and that $y'$ has to be square integrable.
See for instance this page.
Shouldn't that be:
$$\sum_{m=1}^{\infty} \left( -a_m (\frac{m \pi}{L})^2 \cos{\frac{m \pi t}{L}} - b_m (\frac{m \pi}{L})^2 \sin{\frac{m \pi t}{L}} \right)+ \omega^2 \frac{a_0}{2}+ \omega^2 \sum_{m=1}^{\infty} \left( a_m \cos{\frac{m \pi t}{L}}+ b_m \sin{\frac{m \pi t}{L}} \right)=\sin{nt}$$
$$\quad \Rightarrow\quad\omega^2 \frac{a_0}{2}+ \sum_{m=1}^{\infty} a_m \left(\omega^2 - (\frac{m \pi}{L})^2\right)\cos{\frac{m \pi t}{L}}+ \sum_{m=1}^{\infty} b_m \left(\omega^2 - (\frac{m \pi}{L})^2\right) \sin{\frac{m \pi t}{L}} =\sin{nt}$$
(Wondering)

If we make the assumption that the period is $2\pi$, it becomes simpler yet.
And since $\{\cos mt, \sin mt\}$ is a basis, it follows that $a_m = 0$ for every $m$, and $b_m \left(\omega^2 - m^2\right) = \delta_{mn}$.
Can we solve for $b_m$ and find $y(t)$? (Wondering)

I edited my post previously. We get that $y(t)=\frac{1}{\omega^2-n^2} \sin{(nt)}$. Or am I wrong? (Thinking)

Last edited:
I like Serena said:
(Wondering)

How do we deduce that $b_m \left(\omega^2 - m^2\right) = \delta_{mn}$ ? (Thinking)

evinda said:
I edited my post previously. We get that $y(t)=\frac{1}{\omega^2-n^2} \sin{(nt)}$. Or am I wrong? (Thinking)

That is what we would get yes.
Does it satisfy the boundary conditions of the initial value problem? (Wondering)

evinda said:
How do we deduce that $b_m \left(\omega^2 - m^2\right) = \delta_{mn}$ ? (Thinking)

If we make the assumption that the period is $2\pi$, we would get that:
$$\omega^2 \frac{a_0}{2}+ \sum_{m=1}^{\infty} a_m \left(\omega^2 - m^2\right)\cos{m t}+ \sum_{m=1}^{\infty} b_m \left(\omega^2 - m^2\right) \sin{m t} =\sin{nt}$$
And since $\{\cos mt, \sin mt\}$ is a basis, all coefficients of $\cos mt$ and $\sin mt$ must match.
That means that every coefficient must be zero, except that for $m=n$ we must have that $b_m \left(\omega^2 - m^2\right) = 1$. (Thinking)

I like Serena said:
That is what we would get yes.
Does it satisfy the boundary conditions of the initial value problem? (Wondering)

No, it doesn't... (Worried) We have that $y'(0)=\frac{n}{\omega^2-n^2}$, right?

I like Serena said:
If we make the assumption that the period is $2\pi$, we would get that:
$$\omega^2 \frac{a_0}{2}+ \sum_{m=1}^{\infty} a_m \left(\omega^2 - m^2\right)\cos{m t}+ \sum_{m=1}^{\infty} b_m \left(\omega^2 - m^2\right) \sin{m t} =\sin{nt}$$
And since $\{\cos mt, \sin mt\}$ is a basis, all coefficients of $\cos mt$ and $\sin mt$ must match.
That means that every coefficients must be zero, except that for $m=n$ we must have that $b_m \left(\omega^2 - m^2\right) = 1$. (Thinking)

Ah, I see.. (Nod)

evinda said:
No, it doesn't... (Worried) We have that $y'(0)=\frac{n}{\omega^2-n^2}$, right?

Correct.

But we missed something. (Worried)
We had that $b_m(\omega^2-n^2) = 1$ if $m=n$, and $b_m(\omega^2-m^2) = 0$ otherwise.
That means that $b_n = \frac{1}{\omega^2-n^2}$ for $m=n$.
And that $b_m = 0 \lor \omega^2-m^2 = 0$ if $n\ne m$.
So $b_m$ can be non-zero for $m\ne n$ depending on $\omega$. (Thinking)
(Btw, see why we must have that $\omega^2 \ne n^2$?)

Checking with Wolfram shows that there are also non-periodic solutions if $\omega$ is not an integer. See for instance here. (Nerd)

Last edited:
I like Serena said:
Correct.

But we missed something. (Worried)
We had that $b_m(\omega^2-n^2) = 1$ if $m=n$, and $b_m(\omega^2-n^2) = 0$ otherwise.

You meant that otherwise we have $b_m(\omega^2-m^2)=0$ ? Because then we have that $m \neq n$.
I like Serena said:
That means that $b_n = \frac{1}{\omega^2-n^2}$ for $m=n$.
And that $b_m = 0 \lor \omega^2-m^2 = 0$ if $n\ne m$.
So $b_m$ can be non-zero for $m\ne n$ depending on $\omega$. (Thinking)

Ah I see... So can we not find a general formula of the Fourier series? (Thinking)

I like Serena said:
(Btw, see why we must have that $\omega^2 \ne n^2$?)

For $m=n$ this must hold in order to divide by $\omega^2-m^2$. Why does it hold for $m \neq n$ ? (Thinking)

evinda said:
You meant that otherwise we have $b_m(\omega^2-m^2)=0$ ? Because then we have that $m \neq n$.

Yes. :eek:

evinda said:
Ah I see... So can we not find a general formula of the Fourier series? (Thinking)

Yes. The general formula, assuming a periodic function and with $\omega$ an integer, is:
$$y(t) = b_{|\omega|} \sin \omega t + \frac{1}{\omega^2 - n^2} \sin nt$$
Can we take the boundary conditions into account now? (Wondering)

evinda said:
For $m=n$ this must hold in order to divide by $\omega^2-m^2$. Why does it hold for $m \neq n$ ? (Thinking)
For $m=n$ we must have $\omega^2 \ne n^2$ since otherwise $b_n(\omega^2 - n^2)=1$ does not have a solution.
For $m\ne n$ we can always find a solution for $b_m(\omega^2 - m^2)=0$, if necessary by setting $b_m$ to zero. (Thinking)

I like Serena said:
Yes. The general formula, assuming a periodic function and with $\omega$ an integer, is:

I am a little bit confused right now. Either $b_m=0$ or $\omega^2-m^2=0$, will the resulting Fourier series not be the same?
I like Serena said:
For $m=n$ we must have $\omega^2 \ne n^2$ since otherwise $b_n(\omega^2 - n^2)=1$ does not have a solution.
For $m\ne n$ we can always find a solution for $b_m(\omega^2 - m^2)=0$, if necessary by setting $b_m$ to zero. (Thinking)

Yes, so for $m \neq n$ it doesn't have to hold that $\omega^2 \ne n^2$, right?

evinda said:
I am a little bit confused right now. Either $b_m=0$ or $\omega^2-m^2=0$, will the resulting Fourier series not be the same?

If $\omega^2-m^2=0$, then $b_m$ can be anything - we have a free choice - $b_m$ doesn't have to be zero.
And if $b_m \ne 0$ for that particular $m$, we have a different Fourier series. (Thinking)

evinda said:
Yes, so for $m \neq n$ it doesn't have to hold that $\omega^2 \ne n^2$, right?

Erm... for $m \neq n$ it doesn't have to hold that $\omega^2 \ne {\color{red}m}^2$.

I like Serena said:

You mean without assuming that the period is $2 \pi$ ?

It holds that $y(0)=0$.

We have that $y'(t)=b_{|\omega|} \omega \cos{\omega t}+ \frac{n}{\omega^2-n^2} \cos{nt}$.

So $y'(0)=\omega b_{|\omega|}+\frac{n}{\omega^2-n^2}$, right?

evinda said:
You mean without assuming that the period is $2 \pi$ ?

It holds that $y(0)=0$.

We have that $y'(t)=b_{|\omega|} \omega \cos{\omega t}+ \frac{n}{\omega^2-n^2} \cos{nt}$.

So $y'(0)=\omega b_{|\omega|}+\frac{n}{\omega^2-n^2}$, right?

We have first assumed that the function is periodic, and also that it satisfies the conditions to write it as a Fourier series (continuous and with a derivative that is square integrable).
At the end we have also assumed that it has period $2\pi$, so that we could easily find a simple solution.
It turns out that it suffices to find the solution that satisfies the boundary conditions.

And yes, that's the expression for $y'(0)$. (Nod)

I like Serena said:
We have first assumed that the function is periodic, and also that it satisfies the conditions to write it as a Fourier series (continuous and with a derivative that is square integrable).
At the end we have also assumed that it has period $2\pi$, so that we could easily find a simple solution.
It turns out that it suffices to find the solution that satisfies the boundary conditions.

And yes, that's the expression for $y'(0)$. (Nod)

I think that we can also find easily the same without assuming that the period is $2 \pi$... (Thinking)

Ah I see... (Happy)

And how can we check what happens when $\omega^2=n^2$ ? (Thinking)

evinda said:
I think that we can also find easily the same without assuming that the period is $2 \pi$... (Thinking)

How? (Wondering)

evinda said:
And how can we check what happens when $\omega^2=n^2$ ? (Thinking)

We can't with a Fourier series, and not with a non-periodic Fourier transform either for that matter.
We'll need a different method to solve the IVP.
For instance this wiki page gives an alternate method to solve it.

I like Serena said:
How? (Wondering)

At post #35, we got this:

$$\sum_{m=1}^{\infty} \left( -a_m \left( \frac{m \pi }{L}\right)^2 \cos{\frac{m \pi t}{L}}- b_m \left( \frac{m \pi}{L}\right)^2 \sin{\frac{m \pi t}{L}}\right)+ \omega^2 \frac{a_0}{2}+ \omega^2 \sum_{m=1}^{\infty} \left( a_m \cos{\frac{m \pi t}{L}}+ b_m \sin{\frac{m \pi t}{L}} \right)=\sin{nt}$$

So for $m \neq \frac{nL}{\pi}$ we have that $b_m \left( \omega^2- \left( \frac{m \pi}{L}\right)^2 \right)=0$.

And from the latter we deduce that either $b_m=0$ or $\omega^2- \left( \frac{m \pi}{L}\right)^2=0 \Rightarrow m=\frac{L}{\pi} |\omega|$.

I like Serena said:
We can't with a Fourier series, and not with a non-periodic Fourier transform either for that matter.
We'll need a different method to solve the IVP.
For instance this wiki page gives an alternate method to solve it.

I found the exercise at the chapter with the method of the Fourier series we were talking about previously. Is it maybe meant to find the limit? (Thinking)

evinda said:
At post #35, we got this:

$$\sum_{m=1}^{\infty} \left( -a_m \left( \frac{m \pi }{L}\right)^2 \cos{\frac{m \pi t}{L}}- b_m \left( \frac{m \pi}{L}\right)^2 \sin{\frac{m \pi t}{L}}\right)+ \omega^2 \frac{a_0}{2}+ \omega^2 \sum_{m=1}^{\infty} \left( a_m \cos{\frac{m \pi t}{L}}+ b_m \sin{\frac{m \pi t}{L}} \right)=\sin{nt}$$

So for $m \neq \frac{nL}{\pi}$ we have that $b_m \left( \omega^2- \left( \frac{m \pi}{L}\right)^2 \right)=0$.

And from the latter we deduce that either $b_m=0$ or $\omega^2- \left( \frac{m \pi}{L}\right)^2=0 \Rightarrow m=\frac{L}{\pi} |\omega|$.

I found the exercise at the chapter with the method of the Fourier series we were talking about previously. Is it maybe meant to find the limit? (Thinking)

Ah yes... (Nod)

We have for some $k$ with $\frac{k \pi}{L}=n$ that $b_k \left( \omega^2- \left( \frac{k \pi}{L}\right)^2 \right)=1$.
And for all $m \ne k$ that $b_m \left( \omega^2- \left( \frac{m \pi}{L}\right)^2 \right)=0$.
So $L=\frac k n \pi$.
Suppose $b_m \ne 0$, then $\omega^2- \left( \frac{m \pi}{L}\right)^2 = 0 \Rightarrow |\omega|=\frac{m \pi}{L}=\frac{mn}{k}$.
It means that $\omega$ has to be a rational number, say $\omega=\frac pq$.
So that we can pick $k=|q|n$ and $m=|p|$.
Then the solution for any rational $\omega$ becomes:
$$y(t) = b_m \sin \left(\frac{m\pi}{L} t\right) + \frac{1}{\omega^2 - (k\pi/L)^2}\sin \left( \frac{k \pi}{L}t\right)
=b_m\sin(|\omega| t) + \frac{1}{\omega^2 - n^2}\sin nt
=B\sin \omega t + \frac{1}{\omega^2 - n^2}\sin nt$$
with a free choice for $B$.Can we take the limit now for $\omega\to n$? And also the limit for $\omega$ to any irrational value? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
Ah yes... (Nod)

We have for some $k$ with $\frac{k \pi}{L}=n$ that $b_k \left( \omega^2- \left( \frac{k \pi}{L}\right)^2 \right)=1$.
And for all $m \ne k$ that $b_m \left( \omega^2- \left( \frac{m \pi}{L}\right)^2 \right)=0$.
So $L=\frac k n \pi$.
Suppose $b_m \ne 0$, then $\omega^2- \left( \frac{m \pi}{L}\right)^2 = 0 \Rightarrow |\omega|=\frac{m \pi}{L}=\frac{mn}{k}$.
It means that $\omega$ has to be a rational number, say $\omega=\frac pq$.
So that we can pick $k=|q|n$ and $m=|p|$.
Then the solution for any rational $\omega$ becomes:
$$y(t) = b_m \sin \left(\frac{m\pi}{L} t\right) + \frac{1}{\omega^2 - (k\pi/L)^2}\sin \left( \frac{k \pi}{L}t\right)
=b_m\sin(|\omega| t) + \frac{1}{\omega^2 - n^2}\sin nt
=B\sin \omega t + \frac{1}{\omega^2 - n^2}\sin nt$$
with a free choice for $B$.

From the initial condition $y'(0)=0$ we get that $B=-\frac{n}{|\omega| (\omega^2-n^2)}$, don't we?
I like Serena said:
Can we take the limit now for $\omega\to n$? And also the limit for $\omega$ to any irrational value? (Wondering)

We have that $\lim_{|\omega| \to n} \frac{|\omega| \sin{nt}-n \sin{|\omega| t}}{|\omega| (\omega^2-n^2)}\overset{\frac{0}{0}}{ = } \lim_{|\omega| \to n} \frac{\sin{nt}-nt \cos{|\omega| t}}{\omega^2-n^2+|\omega| 2 \omega}=\frac{\sin{nt}-nt \cos{nt}}{2n^2}$, if $\omega$>0. So do we maybe assume the latter? (Thinking)

Isn't it as follows?

$$\lim_{|\omega| \to n} \frac{|\omega| \sin{nt}-n \sin{|\omega| t}}{|\omega| (\omega^2-n^2)}=\left\{\begin{matrix}
\frac{\sin{nt}-nt \cos{nt}}{2n^2} , \text{ if } \omega=n \\
\frac{\sin{nt}-nt \cos{nt}}{-2n^2}, \text{ if } \omega=-n &
\end{matrix}\right.$$

Or am I wrong? (Thinking)

evinda said:
From the initial condition $y'(0)=0$ we get that $B=-\frac{n}{|\omega| (\omega^2-n^2)}$, don't we?

We'd get that $b_m=-\frac{n}{|\omega| (\omega^2-n^2)}$.
I intended that $B = \operatorname{sgn}(\omega) b_m$, so that $b_m \sin(|\omega| t) = B\sin\omega t$.
Thus:
$$B=-\frac{n}{\omega(\omega^2-n^2)}$$
It rids us of the absolute function. (Whew)

So:
$$y(t) = -\frac{n}{\omega(\omega^2-n^2)} \sin\omega t + \frac{1}{\omega^2 -n^2}\sin nt
= \frac{\omega\sin nt - n\sin\omega t}{\omega(\omega^2-n^2)}$$
evinda said:
We have that $\lim_{|\omega| \to n} \frac{|\omega| \sin{nt}-n \sin{|\omega| t}}{|\omega| (\omega^2-n^2)}\overset{\frac{0}{0}}{ = } \lim_{|\omega| \to n} \frac{\sin{nt}-nt \cos{|\omega| t}}{\omega^2-n^2+|\omega| 2 \omega}=\frac{\sin{nt}-nt \cos{nt}}{2n^2}$, if $\omega$>0. So do we maybe assume the latter? (Thinking)

evinda said:
Isn't it as follows?

$$\lim_{|\omega| \to n} \frac{|\omega| \sin{nt}-n \sin{|\omega| t}}{|\omega| (\omega^2-n^2)}=\left\{\begin{matrix}
\frac{\sin{nt}-nt \cos{nt}}{2n^2} &, \text{ if } \omega=n \\
\frac{\sin{nt}-nt \cos{nt}}{-2n^2}, \text{ if } \omega=-n &
\end{matrix}\right.$$

Or am I wrong? (Thinking)

Let's not try and do everything at the same time shall we? Otherwise it makes my head hurt.
$$\lim_{\omega\to n} y(t)
= \lim_{\omega\to n} \frac{\omega\sin nt - n\sin\omega t}{\omega(\omega^2-n^2)}
\ \overset{\small\text{L'Hôpital}}{=}\ \lim_{\omega\to n} \frac{\sin nt - nt\cos\omega t}{(\omega^2-n^2) + \omega(2\omega)}
= \frac{\sin nt - nt\cos n t}{n(2n)}
$$
Check. (Nod)

$$\lim_{\omega\to -n} y(t)
= \lim_{\omega\to -n} \frac{\omega\sin nt - n\sin\omega t}{\omega(\omega^2-n^2)}
= \lim_{\omega\to -n} \frac{\sin nt - nt\cos\omega t}{(\omega^2-n^2) + \omega(2\omega)}
= \frac{\sin nt - nt\cos(-n t)}{-n(-2n)}
= \frac{\sin nt - nt\cos(n t)}{2n^2}
$$
Not check. (Shake)

Makes sense doesn't it?
Because the DE is exactly the same whether $\omega$ is positive or negative, since $\omega^2$ will be the same either way.

I like Serena said:
We'd get that $b_m=-\frac{n}{|\omega| (\omega^2-n^2)}$.

Couldn't we not also take this and then calculate two limits , when $\omega \to n$ and when $\omega \to -n$ ?

I was also wondering why the solution of the initial value problem for $\omega^2=n^2$ will be equal to the limit that we get... (Thinking)

evinda said:
Couldn't we not also take this and then calculate two limits , when $\omega \to n$ and when $\omega \to -n$ ?

Yes. (Nod)

evinda said:
I was also wondering why the solution of the initial value problem for $\omega^2=n^2$ will be equal to the limit that we get... (Thinking)

We can consider it an educated guess.
It also means that we have to verify that the limit does indeed satisfy the DE and the boundary conditions.
And it does. It's just that our solution method with a Fourier series does not allow us to find it.

I like Serena said:
We can consider it an educated guess.
It also means that we have to verify that the limit does indeed satisfy the DE and the boundary conditions.
And it does. It's just that our solution method with a Fourier series does not allow us to find it.

So if would want to know the solution for $\omega^2=n^2$ we would have to solve the initial value problem for this value of $\omega^2$ with an other method, to check if the limit is indeed the solution, right? (Thinking)

evinda said:
So if would want to know the solution for $\omega^2=n^2$ we would have to solve the initial value problem for this value of $\omega^2$ with an other method, to check if the limit is indeed the solution, right? (Thinking)

We just have to fill in the potential solution for $\omega^2=n^2$ in the differential equation, see that it is satisfied, and do the same thing for the boundary conditions.

Whatever method we use, we should (formally: we have to) do that always anyways, since there is always the risk that our reasoning introduces a new solution that doesn't satisfy the original problem statement. (Nerd)
In practice this is usually not really painstakingly necessary (and often neglected (Smirk)), as long as we're sharp on steps that could conceivably introduce new invalid solutions (like squaring, or multiplying by an expression that could be zero).

In this case, it's very likely that our 'limit' solution will satisfy the IVP.
That's because the solution $y(t)$ that we find, can be seen as a function of $\omega$ as well. That is, $y(t) = y(t;\omega)$. That function is continuous in $\omega$, just like the IVP is continuous in $\omega$.
The $y(t;\omega)$ we found, is just not defined for $\omega^2=n^2$ (nor for any $\omega \in \mathbb R \setminus \mathbb Q$), even though the IVP is.
So we can extend the function by defining the value at its limit, making it continuous in that point (and actually in any irrational point) as well.

I like Serena said:
We just have to fill in the potential solution for $\omega^2=n^2$ in the differential equation, see that it is satisfied, and do the same thing for the boundary conditions.

Whatever method we use, we should (formally: we have to) do that always anyways, since there is always the risk that our reasoning introduces a new solution that doesn't satisfy the original problem statement. (Nerd)
In practice this is usually not really painstakingly necessary (and often neglected (Smirk)), as long as we're sharp on steps that could conceivably introduce new invalid solutions (like squaring, or multiplying by an expression that could be zero).

In this case, it's very likely that our 'limit' solution will satisfy the IVP.
That's because the solution $y(t)$ that we find, can be seen as a function of $\omega$ as well. That is, $y(t) = y(t;\omega)$. That function is continuous in $\omega$, just like the IVP is continuous in $\omega$.
The $y(t;\omega)$ we found, is just not defined for $\omega^2=n^2$ (nor for any $\omega \in \mathbb R \setminus \mathbb Q$), even though the IVP is.
So we can extend the function by defining the value at its limit, making it continuous in that point (and actually in any irrational point) as well.
I see.. Thanks a lot! (Smile)

1. What is a Fourier Series?

A Fourier Series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function as a sum of sine and cosine functions. It is used to analyze and approximate functions in various fields of science and engineering.

2. How is a Fourier Series calculated?

A Fourier Series is calculated by finding the coefficients of the sine and cosine functions that best fit the given periodic function. These coefficients can be determined using integration or other mathematical techniques.

3. What is the significance of Fourier Series in science?

The use of Fourier Series has revolutionized the study of periodic phenomena in science. It allows for the decomposition of complex signals into simpler components, making it easier to analyze and understand them.

4. In what fields is Fourier Series commonly applied?

Fourier Series is used in a wide range of fields, including physics, engineering, mathematics, signal processing, and even music and image processing. It is particularly useful in the study of vibrations, oscillations, and waves.

5. What are the limitations of using Fourier Series?

Although Fourier Series is a powerful tool, it has some limitations. It can only be applied to periodic functions, and the accuracy of the approximation depends on the number of terms used in the series. Additionally, discontinuous functions may not have a Fourier Series representation.