Solve an ODE using Fourier series

psie
Homework Statement
Find the values of the constant ##a## for which the problem ##y''(t)+ay(t)=y(t+\pi), \ t\in\mathbb R##, has a solution with period ##2\pi## which is not identically zero. Determine all such solutions.
Relevant Equations
The complex Fourier series of a ##2\pi## periodic function, namely ##\sum_{n\in\mathbb Z} c_ne^{int}##.
I've assumed ##y(t)## to be the sum of a complex Fourier series, and we get $$\sum (-n^2)c_ne^{int}+\sum ac_ne^{int}=\sum c_ne^{int}e^{in\pi},$$ which we can write as $$\sum ((-n^2)+a)c_ne^{int}=\sum (-1)^n c_ne^{int}.$$ We see here that equality holds if ##a=(-1)^n+n^2##. But how do I solve ##y''(t)+ay(t)=y(t+\pi)## when ##a=(-1)^n+n^2##. I don't think I understand the problem fully.

Physics news on Phys.org
The functions ##e^{int}## are linearly independent, so you must have
$$\sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty \underbrace{[a-(n^2+(-1)^n)]c_n}_0 e^{int} = 0.$$ To get a non-trivial solution, ##a=m^2+(-1)^m## for some ##m \in \mathbb{Z}##. (Don't use ##n## because that's the dummy variable.)

What do you get if ##m=1##? ##m=2##?

Likes psie
vela said:
What do you get if ##m=1##? ##m=2##?
Hmm, we need ##[a-(n^2+(-1)^n)]c_n## to be zero for all ##n## and we want a non-trivial solution, so ##c_n## can’t be zero for all ##n##. It can be non-zero when ##n=m##. I guess we can allow for the coefficient ##n=-m## also to be non-zero, since ##a(m)## is even.

For example, if ##m=1##, we should get ##c_1e^{it}+c_{-1}e^{-it}## being the only terms that remain. The solution takes the form ##c_me^{imt}+c_{-m}e^{-imt}## for ##m\neq 0##. For ##m=0##, we get that the only coefficient that can be nonzero is ##c_0##, a constant solution.

Last edited:

1. How do you solve an ODE using Fourier series?

To solve an ordinary differential equation (ODE) using Fourier series, you first express the solution as a sum of sines and cosines with undetermined coefficients. By substituting this series into the ODE and applying orthogonality properties of trigonometric functions, you can solve for the coefficients and obtain the solution.

2. What types of ODEs can be solved using Fourier series?

ODEs that can be solved using Fourier series are typically linear ODEs with constant coefficients, periodic boundary conditions, and homogeneous terms. The ODE should also have a unique solution that can be expressed as a sum of sines and cosines.

3. Are there any limitations to using Fourier series to solve ODEs?

One limitation of using Fourier series to solve ODEs is that the method is generally applicable to linear ODEs with constant coefficients. Nonlinear or time-varying ODEs may not have solutions that can be expressed in terms of sines and cosines.

4. How do you determine the convergence of the Fourier series solution?

The convergence of the Fourier series solution can be determined by checking if the series satisfies the conditions of the Dirichlet theorem. This theorem states that if the function being approximated by the Fourier series is piecewise smooth and has a finite number of discontinuities, then the series converges to the function at points of continuity and to the average of the left and right limits at points of discontinuity.

5. Can Fourier series be used to solve partial differential equations (PDEs)?

While Fourier series are commonly used to solve ODEs, they can also be extended to solve certain types of partial differential equations (PDEs) with periodic boundary conditions. In this case, the solution is expressed as a sum of sines and cosines in multiple variables, and the method involves separating variables and applying Fourier series in each direction.