1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier transform Discreet time-shift

1. May 21, 2006 #1
    suppose we have this discreet fucntion:

x(k)=rect(k+N/2)= 1 ; when -N/2=<K<=N/2-1
    x(k)=0; otherwise

This is discreet function(not continuous) of k shifted forward by N/2, we need to find fourier transform for it ..

anyway let N=6 for simplicity, then:

x(k)=rect(k+3)= 1 ; when -3=<K<=2
    x(k)=0; otherwise

i think there's a law for finding FT of shifted signals but i can't remember ,and i need a guidance to get the solution

2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2006 #2
    First you must be careful and assert that N is even, because the function would be nothing if N was odd and it was shifted over by a fractional amount, which you did specify.

To answer your question though, a positive phase shift of p corresponds to a shift of the transform by [tex]e^{\frac{2 \pi i k p}{N}}[/tex] where k is the counting variable, N is the period, so if x[n] [tex]\rightarrow X[k][/tex] then [tex]x[n+\frac{p}{2}] \rightarrow X[k] e^{\frac{\pi i k p}{N}}[/tex]. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discrete_Fourier_transform

Well I shouldn't have used the same counting variables for both x and its transform. Let me clean this up some.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2006
  4. May 22, 2006 #3
    so the solution would be like this:

x(k)<<DFT...<< X(f)
    x(K+N/2) <<DFT....<< X(f).e^{(j*2*pi*k*N/2)/N}=X(f)*e^(j*pi*k)

where k is counting variable,N number of samples, j: imaginary unit

so the next step is to find X(f) of non-shifted disctreet function x(k)

if you have more comments or corrections about the problem , please do post again here

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?