Fourier transform of f \in C_c^\infty(R^n)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
chub
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I have noticed that this result is hinted at in several books, but am having trouble proving it:

[tex]f, \hat{f} \in C_c^\infty(R^n) \Rightarrow f \equiv 0.[/tex]

in other words, if both f and its Fourier transform
are smooth, compactly supported functions on n-dimensional euclidean space
then f is identically zero.

any advice? i thought of using the Fourier inversion theorem, which tells me that f agrees almost everywhere (Lebesgue) with the continuous function
[tex]f_0 = (\hat{f})\check{} = (\check{f})\hat{}[/tex]
and then showing that one (or both) of those are zero; continuity of f would then take care of the "almost everywhere" part. but I'm not really sure what to do.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok here is one proof I found (g in C0∞): since exp(-i k x) is entire, the reimann sums approximating F[g] are entire. The reimann sums must converge uniformly on compact sets since g is in C0∞, so F[g] is entire. Since entire functions don't have compact support, F[g] can't have compact support.

I don't really like that proof very much.