1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier transform, range of indices

1. Jun 22, 2011 #1
    hi,

could someone explain the following statement, please?

Why is the real data only shifted, but the fourier space data is 'wrapped around'?

The only difference should be: exp(k*x*2*i*Pi/N) in reals space vs. exp(-k*x*2*i*Pi/N) in fourier space. Both have a periodicity of N. So why is there any difference?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2011 #2
    For the "real data" (I'm not sure I like this term), going from the described "mathematical literature" notation indices to the FFT indices, -N would become 0, -N + 1 would become 1, etc; this is a simple shift to make it start at 0.

In the Fourier domain for FFTs, the element with index 0 will be the 0 frequency element, then the positive frequency elements are next, and then the negative frequency elements will follow those, beginning with the most negative frequency. If you really want a rationale, having it this way makes some things easier then they might be otherwise. For example locating the 0 frequency element is easy as it is just the element with index 0. Also, converting the index of a positive frequency element to its corresponding frequency is easier this way. The frequency is just index/fstep instead of something such as (index - index0)/fstep.

4. Jun 24, 2011 #3
    ah, so this index choice is just definition and follows not from any mathematical principle?

5. Jun 24, 2011 #4
    Oops, those should be multiplications, not divisions.

6. Jun 25, 2011 #5
    So this is just definition and is not due to any mathematical reason?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook