FQXi grant awardee abstracts (novel time ideas)

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter marcus
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Ideas Time
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
61 replies · 12K views
atyy said:
ST has proven its worth beyond any doubt.

But details aside, I do agree that FQXi is unlikely to fund a lone wolf.

I think our disagreement is that I think we don't need lone wolves, but you think we do.

Maybe Perelman is such a case. I don't understand the mathematics, but some have said he was after all preceded by Thurston and Hamilton.

Or if we do, then by definition they must be lone. Can we engineer society to create them? What really gave rise to Bach, Beethoven and Brahms? It is still disconcerting to me that the very same culture that gave us those things, also gave us Nazism. (I suppose you could argue it wasn't the "same" culture.)

ST ? superstring theory ?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
aDS/CFT and Holographic developments are valuable, it is not certain that they would not exist without string work, but it is true that they are results of the effort which proved useful in other areas.