Fraction of K.E. that turned into P.E.

• Thread starter utkarshakash
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fraction
In summary, the problem concerns an elastic collision between two balls, one moving and one stationary, with equal masses. The angle between the line connecting their centers and the initial motion of the moving ball is 45 degrees. The task is to find the fraction of kinetic energy of the moving ball that is converted into potential energy at the moment of maximum deformation, assuming the balls are smooth. Using the principles of conservation of momentum and conservation of energy, the kinetic energy acquired by the second ball can be determined, with the understanding that it is double the kinetic energy of the moving ball. However, the question only pertains to the energy of the moving ball, so the answer can be obtained without doubling it.
utkarshakash
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A ball moving translationally collides elastically with another, stationary, ball of the same mass. At the moment of impact the angle between the straight line passing through the centres of the balls and the direction of the initial motion of the striking ball is equal to α = 45° Assuming the balls to be smooth, find the fraction of the kinetic energy of the striking ball that turned into potential energy at the moment of the maximum deformation.

Homework Equations

Conservation of momentum
Energy Conservation Principle

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand what will happen at the time of max deformation. I mean to say that what will be the velocities of the particle at that instant. I can apply conservation of momentum but that will lead me to nowhere. Also applying conservation of energy I can know what will be the final velocities but not the velocities at the time of max deformation. So what should I use?

Physics news on Phys.org
The line of thought is probably that all of the KE acquired by the second ball comes from elastic deformation during the interaction.

NascentOxygen said:
The line of thought is probably that all of the KE acquired by the second ball comes from elastic deformation during the interaction.

So how should I proceed? What equations will I have to apply?

Determine the KE acquired by ball #2. :smile:

NascentOxygen said:
Determine the KE acquired by ball #2. :smile:

Oh now I think how easy it was. Thanks for helping. :tongue:

A further thought...the question concerns "the kinetic energy of the striking ball that turned into potential" elastic energy, so I think you should find the K.E. of ball #2 and double it. Why double it? From Newton's 3rd Law (his action-reaction law), it follows that after the point of maximum elastic deformation, while one ball receives a certain energy in one direction, the other receives the same in the opposite direction. (It's an elastic collision, so energy is conserved.)

NascentOxygen said:
A further thought...the question concerns "the kinetic energy of the striking ball that turned into potential" elastic energy, so I think you should find the K.E. of ball #2 and double it. Why double it? From Newton's 3rd Law (his action-reaction law), it follows that after the point of maximum elastic deformation, while one ball receives a certain energy in one direction, the other receives the same in the opposite direction. (It's an elastic collision, so energy is conserved.)

But I got my answer without doubling it.

What is the concept of "Fraction of K.E. that turned into P.E."?

The concept refers to the percentage of kinetic energy that is converted into potential energy during a certain process or event.

How is the fraction of K.E. that turned into P.E. calculated?

The fraction is calculated by dividing the change in potential energy by the initial kinetic energy, and then multiplying by 100 to get a percentage.

What factors affect the fraction of K.E. that turned into P.E.?

The factors that affect the fraction include the type of energy transformation, the efficiency of the process, and any external forces or resistance present.

Why is it important to understand the fraction of K.E. that turned into P.E.?

Understanding this fraction can help scientists and engineers optimize processes and systems to increase energy efficiency and reduce waste.

What are some real-life examples of the conversion of K.E. into P.E.?

Examples include a rollercoaster going up a hill, a pendulum swinging back and forth, and a car braking to a stop.