1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fraction of K.E. that turned into P.E.

1. Sep 28, 2012 #1

utkarshakash

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A ball moving translationally collides elastically with another, stationary, ball of the same mass. At the moment of impact the angle between the straight line passing through the centres of the balls and the direction of the initial motion of the striking ball is equal to α = 45° Assuming the balls to be smooth, find the fraction of the kinetic energy of the striking ball that turned into potential energy at the moment of the maximum deformation.

2. Relevant equations
    Conservation of momentum
    Energy Conservation Principle

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't understand what will happen at the time of max deformation. I mean to say that what will be the velocities of the particle at that instant. I can apply conservation of momentum but that will lead me to nowhere. Also applying conservation of energy I can know what will be the final velocities but not the velocities at the time of max deformation. So what should I use?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2012 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

The line of thought is probably that all of the KE acquired by the second ball comes from elastic deformation during the interaction.

4. Sep 29, 2012 #3

utkarshakash

Gold Member

So how should I proceed? What equations will I have to apply?

5. Sep 29, 2012 #4

NascentOxygen

Determine the KE acquired by ball #2. :smile:

6. Sep 29, 2012 #5

utkarshakash

Gold Member

Oh now I think how easy it was. Thanks for helping. :tongue:

7. Oct 5, 2012 #6

NascentOxygen

A further thought....the question concerns "the kinetic energy of the striking ball that turned into potential" elastic energy, so I think you should find the K.E. of ball #2 and double it. Why double it? From Newton's 3rd Law (his action-reaction law), it follows that after the point of maximum elastic deformation, while one ball receives a certain energy in one direction, the other receives the same in the opposite direction. (It's an elastic collision, so energy is conserved.)

8. Oct 6, 2012 #7

utkarshakash

Gold Member

But I got my answer without doubling it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook