Problem set involving Momentum and bowling balls

In summary, the pin's momentum can be larger than the ball's due to its smaller mass, the pin's angular momentum would be constant while it is in the air, and if the bowling lane had defects, the ball would accelerate in the direction that reduces its potential energy.
Matt Poirier

Homework Statement

Say you're bowling and you roll the ball down the lane. The bowling ball has just knocked the first bowling pin forward and that pin's forward velocity is now much larger than the bowling ball's velocity before their impact. How can the pin travel forward faster than the ball was moving without violating conservation of momentum?
Answer Choices:
  • A. Since the pin has much less mass than the ball, the pin can have a larger forward velocity than the ball and still have less forward momentum than the ball had before their impact.
  • B. During their impact, the ball transfers both momentum and energy to the pin and those two quantities add together to give the pin a very high forward velocity.
  • C. The conservation of momentum applies only to objects that are moving in opposite directions. As long as the ball and pin move in the same direction, they aren't constrained by the conservation of momentum.
  • D. The conservation of momentum applies only to an isolated object. When two objects touch, their total combined momentum is no longer a conserved quantity.
The bowling ball hits another bowling pin and knocks that pin into the air. The pin travels in an arc before crashing into the back of the bowling lane. While this flying pin isn't touching anything, which of its physical quantities is constant? Note: assume that there is no air resistance.

• A. The pin's momentum is constant.

• B. The pin's speed is constant.

• C. The pin's velocity is constant.

• D. The pin's angular momentum is constant.
According to bowling regulations, a newly constructed bowling lane must be flat and level to within a 1/25th of an inch. If the lane had significant hills and valleys in its surface, or if it were tilted, how would those defects affect the bowling ball's motion on the lane?

• A. The ball's velocity would point in the direction that reduced its total potential energy as quickly as possible.

• B. The ball would accelerate in the direction that reduced its total potential energy as quickly as possible.

• C. The ball would travel directly downhill on each defect and would follow a complicated path to the pins.

• D. necessarily travel directly downhill.

Homework Equations

Momentum = mass * velocity

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe the answers are A, A, and B, respectively, but I am not sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
Matt Poirier said:
I believe the answers are A, A, and B, respectively, but I am not sure.
Can you tell us your reasoning on each? :smile:

Likes FactChecker
I disagree with one of your answers, but this sounds like a homework problem. I think that you should explain your answers to get help or comments.

Likes berkeman
berkeman said:
Can you tell us your reasoning on each? :smile:
So the first one: the pin has less mass than the ball, which means that the change in momentum it experiences can mean that it has more velocity to make up for less mass, even if the momentum isn't the same as the ball originally had. For 2, I am really not sure, an object traveling in an arc has changing velocity (constant acceleration), as does its speed(right?), and there's no mentioning of rotation, which would mean angular momentum doesn't make sense, so this one really stumps me. And for 3, this is a general principle rule in physics that I found, an object will accelerate in the direction in which its potential energy decreases.

FactChecker said:
I disagree with one of your answers, but this sounds like a homework problem. I think that you should explain your answers to get help or comments.
Here, I tried to explain my reasoning to the best of my abilities, thank you for commenting.

Matt Poirier said:
Here, I tried to explain my reasoning to the best of my abilities, thank you for commenting.
That's better. Thanks.
So the first one: the pin has less mass than the ball, which means that the change in momentum it experiences can mean that it has more velocity to make up for less mass, even if the momentum isn't the same as the ball originally had.
Sounds right.
For 2, I am really not sure, an object traveling in an arc has changing velocity (constant acceleration), as does its speed(right?), and there's no mentioning of rotation, which would mean angular momentum doesn't make sense, so this one really stumps me.
So constant mass and changing speed should rule out some options. Even if they say nothing about angular momentum, you should know something about it.
And for 3, this is a general principle rule in physics that I found, an object will accelerate in the direction in which its potential energy decreases.
Sounds right.

Likes Matt Poirier
FactChecker said:
That's better. Thanks.
Sounds right.So constant mass and changing speed should rule out some options. Even if they say nothing about angular momentum, you should know something about it.Sounds right.
Constant mass and changing speed basically rules out every option besides angular momentum, but I am just not sure considering nothing is said of the pin spinning.

FactChecker said:
That's better. Thanks.
Sounds right.So constant mass and changing speed should rule out some options. Even if they say nothing about angular momentum, you should know something about it.Sounds right.
but the more I think about it, the more I believe it is angular momentum.

Matt Poirier said:
but the more I think about it, the more I believe it is angular momentum.
What principles do you know that you can apply?

FactChecker said:
What principles do you know that you can apply?
None other than the other options aren't viable.

Have you covered conservation of angular momentum? All the basic conservation laws are extremely important.

Likes Matt Poirier
FactChecker said:
Have you covered conservation of angular momentum? All the basic conservation laws are extremely important.
Yes just looked over them to confirm my answer, thank you so much!

1. What is momentum?

Momentum is a physical quantity that describes the amount of motion an object has. It is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity.

2. How is momentum related to bowling balls?

Bowling balls have momentum because they have mass and are moving. The heavier the bowling ball and the faster it is moving, the greater its momentum will be.

3. How is momentum conserved in a bowling ball collision?

In a collision between two bowling balls, momentum is conserved. This means that the total momentum of the two balls before the collision will be equal to the total momentum of the two balls after the collision.

4. Can you calculate the momentum of a bowling ball?

Yes, the momentum of a bowling ball can be calculated by multiplying its mass (in kilograms) by its velocity (in meters per second).

5. How can momentum be changed in a bowling ball?

Momentum can be changed in a bowling ball by changing its mass or its velocity. For example, if a heavier bowling ball is thrown with the same speed as a lighter bowling ball, it will have a greater momentum.