Collision with a ball spinning about its vertical axis

In summary, the equation for the linear velocity of a point relative to the ball's centre is v=r*ω. There is no equation relating the rotational and linear velocities.
Mmarzipan

Homework Statement

A ball A is rotating on a table with an angular velocity ω about its vertical axis. An identical ball B collides with the ball A elastically. After collision the ball A starts sliding over the table. The coefficient of friction is µ. Find:

1) the angle α between the angular velocity vector of the ball A and the vertical for any moment of time before the ball starts rolling

2) the time instant when ball A starts rolling

3)what happens with the angular velocity of A after it starts to roll

Homework Equations

Momentum is convserved?

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first question, the answer seems to easy - the angular velocity axis should be always vertical, that's said in the text as well.
For the second one I tried many ways, conservation of energy and conservation of momentum, but there's no information about the initial and final velocity of the second ball so I'm not sure. Should I use integration?
Third should be easy too - the answer is that it stays the same (in ideal conditions).

Physics news on Phys.org
Mmarzipan said:
the angular velocity axis should be always vertical
I would not have thought so. There is a torque from friction normal to the angular momentum. Should it not precess?

Oh, of course! I have no idea how to calculate that tho. The friction force has a different direction at every point, so its torque is against the original spinning, right?
so
T = dL/dt = I*dw/dt = F*r*sina
F being frictional force and r the radius of the sphere. But I have neither of those given. W is omega, angular velocity.

Mmarzipan said:
so its torque is against the original spinning, right?
Not sure what you mean by that.
At any time t, let the velocity of the sphere's centre be ##\vec v## and its angular velocity be ##\vec\omega##.
What is the velocity at the point of contact with the ground? What frictional force does that produce? What are the consequences for the linear and angular velocity?
Introduce variables for mass and radius as necessary, but likely these will cancel out later.

I meant that it should slow down the spinning, or shouldn't it?
Okie, at the point of the ground angular velocity is practically zero because it's spinning around its vertical axis, shouldn't it be so?
cb08b50b5ed23de26c5be3fae30a56040cd6bb90
, so linear velocity v = (r x ω) * r2. But in the bottom point r and ω are antiparallel so linear velocity v is zero.

Mmarzipan said:
I meant that it should slow down the spinning, or shouldn't it?
Okie, at the point of the ground angular velocity is practically zero because it's spinning around its vertical axis, shouldn't it be so?
cb08b50b5ed23de26c5be3fae30a56040cd6bb90
, so linear velocity v = (r x ω) * r2. But in the bottom point r and ω are antiparallel so linear velocity v is zero.
I defined vectors ##\vec v## and ##\vec \omega## as independent of each other. There is no equation relating them. This is not rolling contact.
Not sure how you are defining ##\vec r##. If it is the vector from the centre of the sphere to some point on its surface, what is the velocity of that point?

Oh of course!
Linear velocity is v=r*ω for any rotation. I'd define r here as distance from the (vertical) axis. But in the point of contact, r is 0. So linear velocity is 0.

Mmarzipan said:
Oh of course!
Linear velocity is v=r*ω for any rotation. I'd define r here as distance from the (vertical) axis. But in the point of contact, r is 0. So linear velocity is 0.
No, you are still missing the point, and that is not the right definition of r.

If the ball is rotating with angular velocity ##\vec \omega## then at the point of the ball ##\vec r## from the centre the velocity, relative to the centre of the ball, is ##\vec r\times\vec\omega##.
But the ball's centre has linear velocity ##\vec v##. So what is the velocity of the point relative to the ground?

I'm so trying! Where it touches the ground, r and w are antiparallel.
ω is about the vertical axis of the ball. Where the ball touches the ground, r also goes along the vertical axis.

Mmarzipan said:
Where it touches the ground
My question was in regard to an arbitrary point on the surface of the ball. It is a simple question about relative velocities. I have given you the formula for the velocity of the point relative to the centre of the ball, and we know the velocity of the ball, so what is the velocity of the point?
Mmarzipan said:
ω is about the vertical axis of the ball
Only initially. We need to allow for arbitrary rotations later.

1. What causes a ball spinning about its vertical axis to collide with another object?

The collision of a ball spinning about its vertical axis is caused by the transfer of momentum and energy from the spinning ball to the other object. This transfer occurs when the two objects come into contact and the spinning ball exerts a force on the other object, causing it to move.

2. How does the spin of a ball affect its collision with another object?

The spin of a ball affects its collision in several ways. First, the direction of the spin determines the direction of the angular momentum, which in turn affects the direction of the collision. Additionally, the spin can cause the ball to curve or swerve during the collision, making it more difficult to predict the trajectory of the ball after the collision.

3. Can a ball spinning about its vertical axis collide with multiple objects at once?

Yes, a ball spinning about its vertical axis can collide with multiple objects at once. In this case, the ball will transfer momentum and energy to each object it collides with, causing them to move in different directions or speeds depending on their mass and the force of the collision.

4. How does friction impact the collision of a ball spinning about its vertical axis?

Friction plays a crucial role in the collision of a ball spinning about its vertical axis. Friction between the ball and the surface it is rolling on can slow down or speed up the rotation of the ball, affecting its spin and momentum. Friction between the ball and the object it collides with can also alter the direction and speed of the ball after the collision.

5. Is the collision of a ball spinning about its vertical axis affected by the shape or texture of the objects it collides with?

Yes, the shape and texture of the objects the ball collides with can have a significant impact on the collision. A smooth, flat surface will result in a different collision than a rough, uneven surface. Additionally, the shape of the objects can affect the direction and speed of the ball after the collision, as well as the transfer of energy and momentum between the two objects.