Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fraction,Percent, Ratio Problem

1. Jan 2, 2007 #1
    Hmm am I posting too many problems? Is there a specific thread where I can post these? =/

Anyways here goes:
    There are g gallons of paint available to paint a house. After n gallons have been used, then, in terms of g and n, what percent of the paint has not been used?

a) 100n/g%

b) g/100n%

c) 100g/n%

d) g/(100(g-n))%

e) (100(g-n))/g%

Okay, here is the case. I've gotten this problem right the first time, however, I would like a solution from any of you ccers =]

Here's my solution:
    Well since the total amount is expressed as g, the percent fraction obviously has to be over g(the gallons of paint available). Since n is the number of gallons used, the number of gallons not used would be g-n.

I'm confused about why you need to multiply it by 100. Is it because you need to convert a fraction in a percentage problem? Haha, I think I answered my own question but anyways...

I think 100 is put in front because a fraction is expressed in the form of a decimal and in order to make a percent (% is put in front) you need to multiply the fraction by 100 to move it two decimal places up?

ex: 1/4x 100 = 100/4= 25% same as .25 x 100 =25%?

Can anyone tell me if this works for all of these types of problems and is universal?? I don't know if I'm doing this right but I'm pretty sure =D
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 2, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, you are correct. WE multiply by 100 since we are turning the fraction into a percentage. (Note that "percent" means "per hundred" and so mulitplying by 100 enables us to then include the % sign.) This does work for all problems.

In your example, 1/4=(1x100)/4%=25%. Of course, this is the same as 0.25=0.25/100%=25%
  4. Jan 2, 2007 #3
    Wow I never knew that "percent" is acutally "per cent", cent meaning 100 right? ooo wow. hehe math problems are fun.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?