Fraction,Percent, Ratio Problem

• Thread starter AznBoi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ratio
In summary, the conversation is about finding the percentage of paint that has not been used after n gallons have been used out of a total of g gallons available. The correct answer is d) g/(100(g-n))%. The reason for multiplying by 100 is to convert the fraction into a percentage, as "percent" means "per hundred". This method works for all percentage problems. Additionally, the word "percent" comes from the Latin word "centum", meaning "hundred".
AznBoi
Hmm am I posting too many problems? Is there a specific thread where I can post these? =/

Anyways here goes:
There are g gallons of paint available to paint a house. After n gallons have been used, then, in terms of g and n, what percent of the paint has not been used?

a) 100n/g%

b) g/100n%

c) 100g/n%

d) g/(100(g-n))%

e) (100(g-n))/g%

Okay, here is the case. I've gotten this problem right the first time, however, I would like a solution from any of you ccers =]

Here's my solution:
Well since the total amount is expressed as g, the percent fraction obviously has to be over g(the gallons of paint available). Since n is the number of gallons used, the number of gallons not used would be g-n.

I'm confused about why you need to multiply it by 100. Is it because you need to convert a fraction in a percentage problem? Haha, I think I answered my own question but anyways...

I think 100 is put in front because a fraction is expressed in the form of a decimal and in order to make a percent (% is put in front) you need to multiply the fraction by 100 to move it two decimal places up?

ex: 1/4x 100 = 100/4= 25% same as .25 x 100 =25%?

Can anyone tell me if this works for all of these types of problems and is universal?? I don't know if I'm doing this right but I'm pretty sure =D

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Yes, you are correct. WE multiply by 100 since we are turning the fraction into a percentage. (Note that "percent" means "per hundred" and so mulitplying by 100 enables us to then include the % sign.) This does work for all problems.

In your example, 1/4=(1x100)/4%=25%. Of course, this is the same as 0.25=0.25/100%=25%

cristo said:
Yes, you are correct. WE multiply by 100 since we are turning the fraction into a percentage. (Note that "percent" means "per hundred" and so mulitplying by 100 enables us to then include the % sign.) This does work for all problems.

In your example, 1/4=(1x100)/4%=25%. Of course, this is the same as 0.25=0.25/100%=25%

Wow I never knew that "percent" is acutally "per cent", cent meaning 100 right? ooo wow. hehe math problems are fun.

1. What is a fraction?

A fraction is a mathematical expression that represents a part of a whole. It consists of a numerator, which is the number on top, and a denominator, which is the number on the bottom. The numerator represents how many parts are being considered, while the denominator represents the total number of equal parts the whole is divided into.

2. How do you convert a fraction to a percent?

To convert a fraction to a percent, first divide the numerator by the denominator. Then, multiply the resulting decimal by 100 to get the percentage. For example, if you have the fraction 3/4, you would divide 3 by 4, which equals 0.75. Multiply 0.75 by 100, and you get 75%, which is the equivalent percentage of 3/4.

3. What is a ratio?

A ratio is a comparison of two quantities that have the same units. It can be written in the form of a fraction, with the first quantity being the numerator and the second quantity being the denominator. For example, if a recipe calls for a ratio of 2 cups of flour to 1 cup of sugar, it means that for every 2 cups of flour, you need 1 cup of sugar.

4. How do you solve a ratio problem?

To solve a ratio problem, you can use the "cross-multiplication" method. This involves multiplying the numerator of one ratio by the denominator of the other ratio, and then setting the two products equal to each other. You can then solve for the unknown quantity by dividing both sides of the equation by the coefficient.

5. What is the difference between a fraction and a percent?

A fraction is a number that represents a part of a whole, while a percent is a number that represents a part of 100. Fractions and percents are related, as a fraction can be converted to a percent by multiplying by 100. However, a fraction can also be converted to a decimal, while a percent is always represented by a number followed by a percentage sign (%).