Franklin Bell: Does Positive/Negative Side Matter?

• B
  • Thread starter fishspawned
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bell
In summary, the conversation is about a homemade franklin bell being charged with an electric fly swatter. The question is raised about whether the neutral ball at the center should have any preference as to which side it would be attracted to first. The conclusion is that the ball's initial movement will be determined by its inequality, rather than its neutrality.
fishspawned
hello all

so i have been messing about with a homemade franklin bell. It is being charged with an electric fly swatter.

I have been wondering if the neutral ball a the center should have any preference as to which side it would be attracted to FIRST. In my head i think it should not matter, and really be a question of which one is closer, even if by a very small amount. considering the forces created are related to the reciprocal of the distance squared - a small difference would change the net force on that ball quite a bit to be pointing in one direction over the other.

but i just wanted to know if there would be reason it may go towards a positive or negative side first for any other reason someone else may know about.

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The ball will neither be exactly neutral nor exactly central. It's the inequality that determines which way it will go initially, I think.

yup - that's what i thought. good point on the assumed neutrality of the ball too.

Likes sophiecentaur

1. What is the significance of the positive and negative sides in Franklin Bell's theory?

The positive and negative sides in Franklin Bell's theory represent the two different perspectives of an individual's personality. The positive side refers to the optimistic and outgoing traits, while the negative side represents the more introverted and cautious traits. Understanding both sides can provide insight into an individual's behavior and decision-making processes.

2. How does Franklin Bell's theory apply to real-life situations?

Franklin Bell's theory can be applied in various real-life situations, such as understanding conflicts between individuals with different personality types and predicting how a person may react in a certain situation. It can also be used in personal development to identify strengths and weaknesses and work towards a more balanced personality.

3. Is one side of Franklin Bell's theory better than the other?

No, neither the positive nor negative side is considered better than the other in Franklin Bell's theory. Both sides have their strengths and weaknesses, and a balanced combination of the two is desirable for a well-rounded personality.

4. Can a person's positive or negative side change over time?

Yes, it is possible for a person's positive or negative side to change over time. External factors such as experiences and relationships can influence a person's traits and shift their dominant side. Additionally, personal growth and development can also lead to changes in an individual's positive and negative characteristics.

5. Are there any criticisms or limitations of Franklin Bell's theory?

Like any theory, Franklin Bell's theory has its criticisms and limitations. Some argue that the theory oversimplifies personality and ignores other important factors that contribute to an individual's behavior. Additionally, the theory may not accurately capture the complexities of human personality and may not be applicable to all individuals and cultures.