Free Body Diagrams for hockey puck

In summary, The only forces acting on the hockey puck sliding along a horizontal, smooth icy surface are weight and normal force. Friction can be neglected on smooth surfaces and air drag is only considered when explicitly stated. The choices of force of velocity and force of push are incorrect since velocity is not a force and nothing is pushing the puck while it is sliding.
Chandasouk

Homework Statement

A hockey puck slides along a horizontal, smooth icy surface at a constant velocity as shown. (Part A figure) Which of the following forces act on the puck?

139323A.jpg

Okay, for this the choices are (list check all that apply)

force of velocity x
air drag
weight x
acceleration
force of push x
normal force x
friction

Since it is on an icy surface, I neglect friction and I ignored air drag because in the introduction, it told me

the force of air drag, similar in some ways to the force of friction, may come into play. These forces are directed so that they resist the relative motion of the surfaces. To simplify problems you often assume that friction is negligible on smooth surfaces and can be ignored. In addition, the word friction commonly refers to resistive forces other than air drag that are caused by contact between surfaces, so you can ignore air drag in problems unless you are explicitly told to consider its effects.

I was wondering why my choices were not correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Chandasouk said:
force of velocity x
force of push x

I was wondering why my choices were not correct?

Hi Chandasouk! :wink:

i] velocity has no force (were you thinking of momentum? momentum isn't a force)

ii] it's sliding, so why do you think anything is pushing it? :smile:

Your choices of the forces that act on the hockey puck are correct. The force of velocity, weight, force of push, and normal force are all acting on the puck. As you mentioned, friction and air drag can be ignored in this scenario. It is important to carefully read and interpret the given information in the problem to determine which forces are present and which can be neglected. In this case, the introduction explicitly states that friction can be neglected on smooth surfaces and air drag can be ignored unless specifically mentioned. Therefore, your choices of forces are accurate.

1. What is a free body diagram for a hockey puck?

A free body diagram for a hockey puck is a simplified visual representation of all the external forces acting on the puck, such as gravity, air resistance, and friction. It helps to analyze the motion of the puck and determine the resulting acceleration.

2. Why is a free body diagram important for studying the motion of a hockey puck?

A free body diagram is important because it allows us to break down the complex motion of the puck into individual forces, making it easier to understand and analyze. It also helps in predicting the trajectory and speed of the puck during gameplay.

3. How do you create a free body diagram for a hockey puck?

To create a free body diagram for a hockey puck, you first need to identify all the external forces acting on the puck. Then, draw a diagram of the puck and label each force with an arrow indicating its direction and magnitude. Make sure to include the force of gravity, normal force, and any other relevant forces.

4. Can a free body diagram be used to calculate the motion of a hockey puck?

Yes, a free body diagram can be used to calculate the motion of a hockey puck. By analyzing the forces acting on the puck, you can use Newton's laws of motion to calculate the resulting acceleration and predict the motion of the puck.

5. Are there any limitations to using free body diagrams for hockey pucks?

One limitation of using free body diagrams for hockey pucks is that they assume the puck is a point mass, neglecting its size and shape. This can affect the accuracy of the calculations, especially for more complex scenarios. Additionally, free body diagrams do not account for any internal forces within the puck, such as the interaction between its molecules.