• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Free body diagram on a block pushed against a ceiling

Homework Statement

A 2kg block is being pushed along a ceiling with friction by an angled force of 70 degrees. I'm asked only for the free body diagram.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured both the gravitational and normal force would point downwards, but the force applied at an angle(figure an angle someone would apply by pushing with arms) I'm confused on how to draw on the diagram.

Answers and Replies

gneill
Mentor

Homework Statement

A 2kg block is being pushed along a ceiling with friction by an angled force of 70 degrees. I'm asked only for the free body diagram.
70 degrees with respect to what?
I figured both the gravitational and normal force would point downwards, but the force applied at an angle(figure an angle someone would apply by pushing with arms) I'm confused on how to draw on the diagram.
What is the direction of the force? That's the direction the force vector will make with the block.

Drawing.png

Attachments

I forgot to add that friction plays a role. I'm just confused on how to set up the free body diagram

gneill
Mentor
Your applied force looks good. Now you need to add gravitational force and frictional force vectors. In which directions do they act?

gneill
Mentor
Okay, it looks like you've got all the forces represented. That's good. What I would suggest, however, is that they be presented a bit more aesthetically. Often, leaving in the depiction of body being acted on makes things easier to recognize and process. So maybe something like this:

upload_2018-10-24_19-57-38.png

The placements of the force vectors around the block are not as important as getting their directions right, but making your diagram easy to read (especially by markers!) is at least a good portion of the battle :smile:

Attachments

Ok, thank you. I was drawing it on my computer sketch, so that's why it wasn't as clear.

Likes gneill