Free Fall Acceleration fractures Problem

In summary, Falls resulting in hip fractures are a major cause of injury and even death to the elderly. Wearing elastic hip pads can reduce the hip's speed at impact to 1.3 m/s or less, preventing fractures. If a typical pad compresses by 2.0 cm during the impact of a fall, the hip undergoes an acceleration of 57.75 m/s^2 to reduce its speed to 1.3 m/s.
tater08

Homework Statement

Falls resulting in hip fractures are a major cause of injury and even death to the elderly. Typically, the hip’s speed at impact is about 2.0 m/s. If this can be reduced to 1.3 m/s or less, the hip will usually not fracture. One way to do this is by wearing elastic hip pads.

If a typical pad is 5.0 cm thick and compresses by 2.0 cm during the impact of a fall, what acceleration (in m/s^2) does the hip undergo to reduce its speed to 1.3 m/s?

Homework Equations

(y1-y0)=(Vf^2-V0^2)/2a

The Attempt at a Solution

y1-yO=-2 cm = 0.02M Vf= 1.3 V0=2.0 a=?
1.3^2-2.0^2 =-2.31

(-2.31m^2/s^2)/ 2*-0.02m =a a= 57.75m/s^2

question is...did i do this problem right because this is an online homework problem and i keep getting it wrong so I'm wondering if it is the program or if it just me.

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
tater08 said:
Typically, the hip’s speed at impact is about 2.0 m/s. If this can be reduced to 1.3 m/s or less, the hip will usually not fracture. One way to do this is by wearing elastic hip pads.

If a typical pad is 5.0 cm thick and compresses by 2.0 cm during the impact of a fall, what acceleration (in m/s^2) does the hip undergo to reduce its speed to 1.3 m/s?

Hi tater08! :smile:

Your answer looks fine to me! :smile:

I think it must be a misprint …

hmm :rolleyes: … try using 3.0 cm instead of 2.0 cm, and see if the computer accepts that! :smile:

for your help

Your solution appears to be correct. However, it is always a good idea to double check your calculations and make sure all units are consistent. It is also possible that the online homework program is not accepting your answer due to rounding or other formatting errors. If you continue to have trouble, it may be helpful to reach out to your instructor for clarification or assistance.

1. What is free fall acceleration?

Free fall acceleration is the acceleration of an object due to the force of gravity. It is a constant value of 9.8 meters per second squared (m/s^2) on Earth, meaning that in the absence of air resistance, any object will accelerate at a rate of 9.8 m/s^2 towards the ground.

2. How does free fall acceleration affect objects?

Free fall acceleration causes objects to increase in velocity as they fall towards the ground. This means that the object will fall faster and faster until it hits the ground or reaches a terminal velocity due to air resistance.

3. What is a fracture and how does it relate to free fall acceleration?

A fracture is a break or crack in a bone. In the context of free fall acceleration, fractures can occur when an object or person falls from a height and the force of impact on the ground is too great for the bone to withstand, resulting in a break or crack.

4. How can free fall acceleration be calculated?

Free fall acceleration can be calculated using the formula a = g, where "a" is the acceleration and "g" is the acceleration due to gravity. On Earth, this value is always 9.8 m/s^2. This formula can also be used to calculate the velocity of an object in free fall over a certain time period.

5. Can free fall acceleration be affected by factors other than gravity?

Yes, free fall acceleration can be affected by other factors such as air resistance, which can slow down the acceleration of an object. Additionally, the mass and shape of an object can also impact its free fall acceleration. The closer an object is to the surface of the Earth, the greater the acceleration due to gravity will be.