Need clarification of projectile motion

In summary, the problem involves a rifle being aimed horizontally at a target 50m away. The bullet hits the target 2.0 cm below the aim point. The equations used to solve for the flight time and speed are Y1=1/2ay^2+v0t+y0 and x1/t=vox. The bullet's initial position and velocity are given as x0=0m, y0=0m, vox=v0, and voy=0m/s. The flight time is found to be t=0.64s and the speed is found to be 77.8 m/s. The value of y1=-0.2m is obtained by plugging in the known values into the equation
rashad764

Homework Statement

A rifle is aimed horizontally at a target 50m away. The bullet hits the target 2.0 cm below the aim point. What was the bullets flight time and speed.
t0=0s
x0=0m
y1=-0.2m
x1=50m
vox=v0
voy=0m/s

Homework Equations

Y1=1/2ay^2+v0t+y0
x1/t=vox

The Attempt at a Solution

My teacher went over this problem already, but I'm trying to understand how -0.2m is obtained for y1.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
rashad764 said:
My teacher went over this problem already, but I'm trying to understand how -0.2m is obtained for y1.
What was the origin? It's fairly useless to try to do these problems without drawing a diagram showing what's happening and what each variable represents.

rashad764 said:

Homework Statement

A rifle is aimed horizontally at a target 50m away. The bullet hits the target 2.0 cm below the aim point. What was the bullets flight time and speed.
t0=0s
x0=0m
y1=-0.2m
x1=50m
vox=v0
voy=0m/s

Homework Equations

Y1=1/2ay^2+v0t+y0
x1/t=vox

The Attempt at a Solution

How long does it take a rock to drop 2cm when released?

And 0.2m is not equal to 2cm...

berkeman said:
How long does it take a rock to drop 2cm when released?

And 0.2m is not equal to 2cm...
thanks

rashad764 said:
thanks
You are welcome. What is your answer to my first question? :smile:

1) What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air, under the influence of gravity. It is a combination of horizontal and vertical motion, and follows a curved path known as a parabola.

2) What are the key factors that affect projectile motion?

The key factors that affect projectile motion are the initial velocity, angle of launch, and the force of gravity. These factors determine the path and distance traveled by the object.

3) How is the trajectory of a projectile calculated?

The trajectory of a projectile can be calculated using the equations of motion, which take into account the initial velocity, angle of launch, and time. These equations are often used in physics and mathematics to determine the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object at a given time.

4) Can a projectile have a horizontal velocity component of zero?

Yes, a projectile can have a horizontal velocity component of zero at the highest point of its trajectory. This is because at this point, the projectile has reached its maximum height and has no horizontal acceleration. However, the vertical velocity component will still be present due to the force of gravity.

5) How does air resistance affect projectile motion?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can affect projectile motion by slowing down the horizontal and vertical velocity components of the object. This can result in a shorter range and lower height for the projectile, compared to a scenario with no air resistance. The effect of air resistance is more significant for objects with larger surface areas and lower densities.