1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Free Fall - Calculating Origin/Release

Tags:
  1. Jan 28, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In this problem I don't know the release point/origin of a dropped ball. I do however have a stroboscopic photograph of it moving through my frame of reference.
    In my frame of reference it moves 2.0m in 4 seconds. Now, I am suppose to figure out how far above the first point (point A) the ball was dropped. I know the acceleration is 0.01m/s^2.

2. Relevant equations
    d = 1/2*a*t^2 + Vi*t + Xi

3. The attempt at a solution
    Can I just solve out for Xi using d equal to 2.0m?
    2.0m - 1/2*0.01m/s^2*4^2 = Xi

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2015 #2

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's not going to work, as you don't know the velocity at either point.

Can you think of a way to generate two equations using that equation of motion?

4. Jan 28, 2015 #3
    I know the instantaneous velocity at two different points, but I am unsure of how that will help me. So, in theory I could plug stuff into Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2*a*d, but that will only give me the distance between the two velocities. Which I know already. I also know that I can use Vf = Vi + a*t again I don't see how that will help me out.

5. Jan 28, 2015 #4

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

One of us is misunderstanding the problem. How do you know the velocity at the two points? I thought all you knew was that it took 4 seconds to move 2m? You don't know the velocity anywhere except at the start (that's a hint!).

6. Jan 28, 2015 #5
    Oh, I'm sorry. I have five points (A, B, C, D, and E). I know that between each point is 1 second. So, I have measured between each point and used the midpoint method to find the instantaneous velocity at B and D. I know the initial velocity is 0.0m/s, since it is a free fall.

7. Jan 28, 2015 #6

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

So, what's the velocity at A?

8. Jan 28, 2015 #7
    Wait... I think I might get it. If I know the instantaneous velocity on point B, and I know the instantaneous velocity at release (Vi = 0.0m/s) I can use Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2*a*d. Then all I have to do is minus the distance from A to B to get the distance from release to A!

9. Jan 28, 2015 #8

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's right. IF you know the velocity at a point you can find d that way. How are you going to find the velocity at B (or anywhere else)?

10. Jan 28, 2015 #9
    I know that the instantaneous velocity at point B is equal to the average velocity from point A to point C (considering each point is 1 second apart). Sincethe average velocity between to points is equal to the instantaneous velocity at the midpoint. But, that is the only way I know how to do it.

11. Jan 28, 2015 #10

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Sounds good!

12. Jan 29, 2015 #11
    If you have: a (0.01) s (2.0) and t (4.0)
    Use: u = ( s - ( ½ * a * t ² ) ) / t
    To find the intial velocity, then use as the final velocity (v) from the start in the following:
    Use: s = ( v ² ) / ( 2 * a )

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted