Free Fall - Calculating Origin/Release

In summary, the homework statement states that the student does not know the release point/origin of a dropped ball but does have a stroboscopic photograph of it moving through their frame of reference. The student is suppose to figure out how far above the first point (point A) the ball was dropped. They know the acceleration is 0.01m/s^2 and are trying to solve for Xi using d equal to 2.0m. However, they cannot because they do not know the velocity at either point. They are trying to find the velocity at B (or anywhere else) by solving for d using the equation of motion and knowing the instantaneous velocity at point B.
Tearsandrille

Homework Statement

In this problem I don't know the release point/origin of a dropped ball. I do however have a stroboscopic photograph of it moving through my frame of reference.
In my frame of reference it moves 2.0m in 4 seconds. Now, I am suppose to figure out how far above the first point (point A) the ball was dropped. I know the acceleration is 0.01m/s^2.

Homework Equations

d = 1/2*a*t^2 + Vi*t + Xi

The Attempt at a Solution

Can I just solve out for Xi using d equal to 2.0m?
2.0m - 1/2*0.01m/s^2*4^2 = Xi

Physics news on Phys.org
Tearsandrille said:

Homework Statement

In this problem I don't know the release point/origin of a dropped ball. I do however have a stroboscopic photograph of it moving through my frame of reference.
In my frame of reference it moves 2.0m in 4 seconds. Now, I am suppose to figure out how far above the first point (point A) the ball was dropped. I know the acceleration is 0.01m/s^2.

Homework Equations

d = 1/2*a*t^2 + Vi*t + Xi

The Attempt at a Solution

Can I just solve out for Xi using d equal to 2.0m?
2.0m - 1/2*0.01m/s^2*4^2 = Xi

That's not going to work, as you don't know the velocity at either point.

Can you think of a way to generate two equations using that equation of motion?

I know the instantaneous velocity at two different points, but I am unsure of how that will help me. So, in theory I could plug stuff into Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2*a*d, but that will only give me the distance between the two velocities. Which I know already. I also know that I can use Vf = Vi + a*t again I don't see how that will help me out.

Tearsandrille said:
I know the instantaneous velocity at two different points, but I am unsure of how that will help me. So, in theory I could plug stuff into Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2*a*d, but that will only give me the distance between the two velocities. Which I know already. I also know that I can use Vf = Vi + a*t again I don't see how that will help me out.

One of us is misunderstanding the problem. How do you know the velocity at the two points? I thought all you knew was that it took 4 seconds to move 2m? You don't know the velocity anywhere except at the start (that's a hint!).

Oh, I'm sorry. I have five points (A, B, C, D, and E). I know that between each point is 1 second. So, I have measured between each point and used the midpoint method to find the instantaneous velocity at B and D. I know the initial velocity is 0.0m/s, since it is a free fall.

Tearsandrille said:
Oh, I'm sorry. I have five points (A, B, C, D, and E). I know that between each point is 1 second. So, I have measured between each point and used the midpoint method to find the instantaneous velocity at B and D. I know the initial velocity is 0.0m/s, since it is a free fall.
So, what's the velocity at A?

Wait... I think I might get it. If I know the instantaneous velocity on point B, and I know the instantaneous velocity at release (Vi = 0.0m/s) I can use Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2*a*d. Then all I have to do is minus the distance from A to B to get the distance from release to A!

Tearsandrille said:
Wait... I think I might get it. If I know the instantaneous velocity on point B, and I know the instantaneous velocity at release (Vi = 0.0m/s) I can use Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2*a*d. Then all I have to do is minus the distance from A to B to get the distance from release to A!

That's right. IF you know the velocity at a point you can find d that way. How are you going to find the velocity at B (or anywhere else)?

I know that the instantaneous velocity at point B is equal to the average velocity from point A to point C (considering each point is 1 second apart). Sincethe average velocity between to points is equal to the instantaneous velocity at the midpoint. But, that is the only way I know how to do it.

Tearsandrille said:
I know that the instantaneous velocity at point B is equal to the average velocity from point A to point C (considering each point is 1 second apart). Sincethe average velocity between to points is equal to the instantaneous velocity at the midpoint. But, that is the only way I know how to do it.

Sounds good!

If you have: a (0.01) s (2.0) and t (4.0)
Use: u = ( s - ( ½ * a * t ² ) ) / t
To find the intial velocity, then use as the final velocity (v) from the start in the following:
Use: s = ( v ² ) / ( 2 * a )

1. What is free fall?

Free fall is a type of motion in which an object falls under the influence of gravity alone. This means that the object is not affected by any other forces, such as air resistance or friction.

2. How is the origin calculated in free fall?

The origin in free fall is the starting point or initial position of the falling object. It is typically measured as the height at which the object is released. To calculate the origin, you would need to know the initial velocity, the acceleration due to gravity, and the time elapsed since the object was released.

3. What is the formula for calculating the origin in free fall?

The formula for calculating the origin in free fall is: origin = initial velocity * time + (1/2) * acceleration due to gravity * time^2. This formula assumes that the initial position is at the origin and the initial velocity is in the direction of the acceleration due to gravity.

4. Can the release point of a falling object be changed?

Yes, the release point of a falling object can be changed. This can be done by altering the initial velocity or the height at which the object is released. However, the acceleration due to gravity will remain constant unless the object is on a different planet or in a different environment with a different gravity.

5. How does air resistance affect free fall?

Air resistance can affect free fall by slowing down the falling object and decreasing its acceleration. This is because air resistance is a force that acts in the opposite direction to the object's motion. As the object falls faster, the air resistance increases until it reaches a point where it is equal to the force of gravity, resulting in a constant velocity known as terminal velocity.