Free falling particle near Earth's surface (Diff. Eq.)

In summary, the free fall acceleration of a mass above the Earth's surface can be represented by the equation ##m\ddot{y}=-\frac{mMG}{y^2}## where ##M## is the mass of the Earth and ##G## is the gravitational constant. With ##\dot{y}(t=0)=0## and ##y(t=0)=y_0##, the equation for ##y(t)## can be found to be ##y(t)=R+\alpha(t)## where ##R## is the radius of the Earth. The differential equation in (1) can be solved using this equation and the taylor expansion, and the resulting equation
Potatochip911

Homework Statement

The free fall acceleration of a mass ##m## above the Earth's surface in one dimension can be represented by ##m\ddot{y}=-\frac{mMG}{y^2}## where ##M## is the mass of the Earth and ##G## is the gravitational constant. With ##\dot{y}(t=0)=0## and ##y(t=0)=y_0##.. (1) Find an equation for ##y(t)##, then ##y(t)## can be represented by the equation ##y(t)=R+\alpha(t)## where ##R## is the radius of the earth. (2) Solve the differential equation in (1) using this, that ##\alpha_0## and ##\alpha(t)## are ##<<## than ##R##, ##y(t=0)=R+\alpha_0## and the taylor expansion ##f(t)=f_0+tf'(t)##

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]

The first part of this question is quite trivial, multiplying the first equation by ##\dot{y}## and cancelling common factors then integrating we obtain $$\int_{0}^{\dot{y}}\dot{y}dy=-MG\int_{y_0}^{y}\frac{1}{y^2}$$
which after solving for ##y(t)## results in $$y(t)=\frac{2MGy_0}{\dot{y}^2y_0+2MG}$$ Continuing on to the second part of the question now we have ##R+\alpha(t)=\frac{2MGy_0}{\dot{y}^2y_0+2MG}##, note that since ##y(t)=R+\alpha(t)## applying the initial conditions we obtain ##\alpha(t=0)=\alpha_0## and taking the derivative we find that ##\dot{y}=\dot{\alpha}(t)\Rightarrow \dot{y}^2=\dot{\alpha}(t)^2## which gives us and then using the relation ##y_0=R+\alpha_0## $$R+\alpha(t)=\frac{2MGy_0}{\dot{\alpha}^2y_0+2MG}=\frac{2MG(R+\alpha_0)}{\dot{\alpha}^2(R+\alpha_0)+2MG}$$

Now I'm pretty sure I can get rid of the ##\dot{\alpha}^2\alpha_0## term on the denominator since it should be negligible compared to the other terms. I'm quite confused as to what to do with the taylor expansion though since I don't understand why we are using the Maclaurin series expansion (my professor told us to use this) when we haven't defined that ##t\approx 0##, regardless, if I plug in the expansion and remove the ##\dot{\alpha}^2\alpha_0## term I obtain $$R+\alpha_0+t\dot{\alpha}=\frac{2MG(R+\alpha_0)}{\dot{\alpha}^2R+2MG}$$

After some tedious simplification I arrived at $$\dot{\alpha}^2R^2t+\dot{\alpha}(R^2+\alpha_0R^2+2MGt)=2M\alpha_0(1-G)$$

Which just seems way too complicated (I have no clue how I would go about solving this) so I'm assuming I have made a mistake somewhere, if I had to guess I would say it has to do with the taylor expansion.

Physics news on Phys.org
Potatochip911 said:

Homework Statement

The free fall acceleration of a mass ##m## above the Earth's surface in one dimension can be represented by ##m\ddot{y}=-\frac{mMG}{y^2}## where ##M## is the mass of the Earth and ##G## is the gravitational constant. With ##\dot{y}(t=0)=0## and ##y(t=0)=y_0##.. (1) Find an equation for ##y(t)##, then ##y(t)## can be represented by the equation ##y(t)=R+\alpha(t)## where ##R## is the radius of the earth. (2) Solve the differential equation in (1) using this, that ##\alpha_0## and ##\alpha(t)## are ##<<## than ##R##, ##y(t=0)=R+\alpha_0## and the taylor expansion ##f(t)=f_0+tf'(t)##

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]

The first part of this question is quite trivial, multiplying the first equation by ##\dot{y}## and cancelling common factors then integrating we obtain $$\int_{0}^{\dot{y}}\dot{y}dy=-MG\int_{y_0}^{y}\frac{1}{y^2}$$
you missed a dot in the left side and a dy from the right side.
Potatochip911 said:
which after solving for ##y(t)## results in $$y(t)=\frac{2MGy_0}{\dot{y}^2y_0+2MG}$$ Continuing on to the second part of the question now we have ##R+\alpha(t)=\frac{2MGy_0}{\dot{y}^2y_0+2MG}##, note that since ##y(t)=R+\alpha(t)## applying the initial conditions we obtain ##\alpha(t=0)=\alpha_0## and taking the derivative we find that ##\dot{y}=\dot{\alpha}(t)\Rightarrow \dot{y}^2=\dot{\alpha}(t)^2## which gives us and then using the relation ##y_0=R+\alpha_0## $$R+\alpha(t)=\frac{2MGy_0}{\dot{\alpha}^2y_0+2MG}=\frac{2MG(R+\alpha_0)}{\dot{\alpha}^2(R+\alpha_0)+2MG}$$
Divide both the numerator and the denominator by 2MG, and also divide the whole equation by R, so as you have factors in form 1+small quantity. You can consider both ##\alpha/(2MG) ## and ## \dot \alpha^2 R/(2MG) ## small with respect to 1. Do the Taylor expansion, ignore higher order terms.
Potatochip911 said:
Now I'm pretty sure I can get rid of the ##\dot{\alpha}^2\alpha_0## term on the denominator since it should be negligible compared to the other terms. I'm quite confused as to what to do with the taylor expansion though since I don't understand why we are using the Maclaurin series expansion (my professor told us to use this) when we haven't defined that ##t\approx 0##, regardless, if I plug in the expansion and remove the ##\dot{\alpha}^2\alpha_0## term I obtain $$R+\alpha_0+t\dot{\alpha}=\frac{2MG(R+\alpha_0)}{\dot{\alpha}^2R+2MG}$$

After some tedious simplification I arrived at $$\dot{\alpha}^2R^2t+\dot{\alpha}(R^2+\alpha_0R^2+2MGt)=2M\alpha_0(1-G)$$

Which just seems way too complicated (I have no clue how I would go about solving this) so I'm assuming I have made a mistake somewhere, if I had to guess I would say it has to do with the taylor expansion.
I can not follow you... try the expansion, and integrate for ##\alpha##.

Likes Potatochip911
ehild said:
you missed a dot in the left side and a dy from the right side.

Divide both the numerator and the denominator by 2MG, and also divide the whole equation by R, so as you have factors in form 1+small quantity. You can consider both ##\alpha/(2MG) ## and ## \dot \alpha^2 R/(2MG) ## small with respect to 1. Do the Taylor expansion, ignore higher order terms.

I can not follow you... try the expansion, and integrate for ##\alpha##.

Okay multiplying the numerator and denominator of the RHS by ##\frac{1}{MG}## and dividing by ##R## I get $$1+\frac{\alpha}{R}=\frac{1+\frac{\alpha_0}{R}}{\frac{\dot{\alpha^2}(R+\alpha_0)}{2MG}+1}$$

For the taylor expansion of ##\alpha## I have ##\alpha(t)\approx\alpha(0)+\alpha^{'}t##, ##\alpha(0)=\alpha_0## and since ##y(t)=R+\alpha(t)\Rightarrow \dot{y(t)}=\dot{\alpha(t)}\Rightarrow \dot{y}(0)=\dot{\alpha}(0)=0\Rightarrow \alpha(t)\approx\alpha_0##

I feel like this taylor expansion isn't correct and that the entire ##\frac{\dot{\alpha^2}(R+\alpha_0)}{2MG}## term should go to zero.

It says "find an equation for y(t)". That suggests to me y as a function of t, not as a function of ##\dot y##. Admittedly, that is quite a challenge, unless you are allowed to leave it in integral form.

haruspex said:
It says "find an equation for y(t)". That suggests to me y as a function of t, not as a function of ##\dot y##. Admittedly, that is quite a challenge, unless you are allowed to leave it in integral form.
Edit: misread

My professor wanted us to first find the differential equation in terms of ##\dot{y}## and then use the simplifying details along with the taylor expansion to solve it. The question was from a midterm a few days ago so the wording isn't exact.

Potatochip911 said:
Edit: misread

My professor wanted us to first find the differential equation in terms of ##\dot{y}## and then use the simplifying details along with the taylor expansion to solve it. The question was from a midterm a few days ago so the wording isn't exact.
Ok, then it should have said find an equation for ##y(\dot y)##.
Be wary of dropping small terms too soon. There will be a lot of cancellation of the largest terms.
For the Taylor expansion, you might need to include the ##\ddot \alpha## term, which you can approximate as MG/R2.

Likes Potatochip911
Potatochip911 said:
Okay multiplying the numerator and denominator of the RHS by ##\frac{1}{MG}## and dividing by ##R## I get $$1+\frac{\alpha}{R}=\frac{1+\frac{\alpha_0}{R}}{\frac{\dot{\alpha^2}(R+\alpha_0)}{2MG}+1}$$
Multiply the equation with the denominator and divide it by 1+α/R. α/R is small compared to 1 so you can approximate 1/(1+α/R) by 1-α/R and ignore the product (α/R)α(0)/R. Take the square root odf the equation. You get a separable linear differential equation for alpha.
Potatochip911 said:
For the taylor expansion of ##\alpha## I have ##\alpha(t)\approx\alpha(0)+\alpha^{'}t##, ##\alpha(0)=\alpha_0## and since ##y(t)=R+\alpha(t)\Rightarrow \dot{y(t)}=\dot{\alpha(t)}\Rightarrow \dot{y}(0)=\dot{\alpha}(0)=0\Rightarrow \alpha(t)\approx\alpha_0##

I feel like this taylor expansion isn't correct and that the entire ##\frac{\dot{\alpha^2}(R+\alpha_0)}{2MG}## term should go to zero.

Nobody said that you have to replace alpha by its first order Taylor expansion. Do ##\dot \alpha=p+qt##. Integrate to get α(t). Substitute into the equation and compare the powers of t.
At the end you get the usual equation for the height of a falling body.
Edit:
As ##\dot y(0)=0## was said in the OP, ##\dot \alpha=qt##.

Last edited:
Likes Potatochip911
ehild said:
Multiply the equation with the denominator and divide it by 1+α/R. α/R is small compared to 1 so you can approximate 1/(1+α/R) by 1-α/R and ignore the product (α/R)α(0)/R. Take the square root odf the equation. You get a separable linear differential equation for alpha.Nobody said that you have to replace alpha by its first order Taylor expansion. Do ##\dot \alpha=p+qt##. Integrate to get α(t). Substitute into the equation and compare the powers of t.
At the end you get the usual equation for the height of a falling body.

Okay so
$$
1+\frac{\alpha}{R}=\frac{1+\frac{\alpha_0}{R}}{\frac{\dot{\alpha^2}(R+\alpha_0}{2MG}+1}\\
1+\frac{\dot{\alpha^2}(R+\alpha_0)}{2MG}=\frac{1+\frac{\alpha_0}{R}}{1+\frac{\alpha}{R}}=(1+\frac{\alpha_0}{R})(1+\frac{\alpha}{R})^{-1}\approxeq (1+\frac{\alpha_0}{R})(1-\frac{\alpha}{R})\\
1+\frac{\dot{\alpha^2}(R+\alpha_0)}{2MG}=1-\frac{\alpha}{R}+\frac{\alpha_0}{R}-\frac{\alpha\alpha_0}{R}\approxeq=1-\frac{\alpha}{R}+\frac{\alpha_0}{R}\\
\dot{\alpha^2}\frac{R+\alpha_0}{2MG}=\frac{1}{R}(\alpha_0-\alpha)\Longrightarrow \dot{\alpha^2}=\frac{\frac{2MG}{R}(\alpha_0-\alpha)}{R+\alpha_0}\\
\dot{\alpha}=p+qt\Longrightarrow \alpha=pt+\frac{qt^2}{2}+C
$$

I'm still not sure what to do with my expression for ##\dot{\alpha^2}## since I have ##\alpha## in there, I tried factoring an ##R## out of the denominator so I could sub in ##g=\frac{MG}{R^2}## and then use the binomial approximation again like so...

$$
\dot{\alpha^2}=\frac{2\frac{MG}{R^2}(\alpha_0-\alpha)}{1+\frac{\alpha}{R}}=2g(\alpha_0-\alpha)(1+\frac{\alpha_0}{R})^{-1}\approxeq 2g(\alpha_0-\alpha)(1-\frac{\alpha_0}{R})
$$
but this doesn't seem to be going anywhere useful.

Potatochip911 said:
Okay so
$$
1+\frac{\alpha}{R}=\frac{1+\frac{\alpha_0}{R}}{\frac{\dot{\alpha^2}(R+\alpha_0}{2MG}+1}\\
1+\frac{\dot{\alpha^2}(R+\alpha_0)}{2MG}=\frac{1+\frac{\alpha_0}{R}}{1+\frac{\alpha}{R}}=(1+\frac{\alpha_0}{R})(1+\frac{\alpha}{R})^{-1}\approxeq (1+\frac{\alpha_0}{R})(1-\frac{\alpha}{R})\\
1+\frac{\dot{\alpha^2}(R+\alpha_0)}{2MG}=1-\frac{\alpha}{R}+\frac{\alpha_0}{R}-\frac{\alpha\alpha_0}{R}\approxeq=1-\frac{\alpha}{R}+\frac{\alpha_0}{R}\\
\dot{\alpha^2}\frac{R+\alpha_0}{2MG}=\frac{1}{R}(\alpha_0-\alpha)\Longrightarrow \dot{\alpha^2}=\frac{\frac{2MG}{R}(\alpha_0-\alpha)}{R+\alpha_0}\\
\dot{\alpha}=p+qt\Longrightarrow \alpha=pt+\frac{qt^2}{2}+C
$$

Substitute p+qt for ##\dot \alpha## and α(t) = α(0) + pt +qt2/2. Compare the terms with equal power of t.
By the way, it was said that ##\dot y(0) = 0 ## in the OP, so you can take ##\dot \alpha = qt##.
Edit: you can also ignore α(0) with respect to R in the denominator.

Last edited:
Likes Potatochip911
ehild said:
Substitute p+qt for ##\dot \alpha## and α(t) = α(0) + pt +qt2/2. Compare the terms with equal power of t.
By the way, it was said that ##\dot y(0) = 0 ## in the OP, so you can take ##\dot \alpha = qt##.
Edit: you can also ignore α(0) with respect to R in the denominator.
If I take ##\dot{\alpha}=p+qt=\sqrt{\frac{2MG}{R}(\alpha_0-\alpha)}=\sqrt{\frac{2MG}{R}(-pt-\frac{qt^2}{2})}=\sqrt{-\frac{2MG}{R}(pt+\frac{qt^2}{2})}##
I find it odd that the entire square root is negative, I could insert ##i^2=-1## but I'm not sure how I'll end up with the normal free fall equation if I do this.

Potatochip911 said:
If I take ##\dot{\alpha}=p+qt=\sqrt{\frac{2MG}{R}(\alpha_0-\alpha)}=\sqrt{\frac{2MG}{R}(-pt-\frac{qt^2}{2})}=\sqrt{-\frac{2MG}{R}(pt+\frac{qt^2}{2})}##
I find it odd that the entire square root is negative, I could insert ##i^2=-1## but I'm not sure how I'll end up with the normal free fall equation if I do this.
Do not take the square root. Write ##{\dot \alpha}^2=(p+qt)^2##

Likes Potatochip911
ehild said:
Do not take the square root. Write ##{\dot \alpha}^2=(p+qt)^2##

Okay then I get $$
\dot{\alpha^2}=q^2t^2=-\frac{2MGpt}{R}-\frac{MGqt^2}{R}\\
q^2=-\frac{MGq}{R}\Longrightarrow q=-\frac{MG}{R}$$
Now since ##q=\ddot{\alpha}## we get $$
\dot{\alpha}=-\frac{MG}{R}t+\dot{\alpha_0}=-\frac{MG}{R}t \\
\alpha=-\frac{MG}{2R}t+\alpha(0)=\alpha_0-\frac{MG}{2R}t^2
$$
Edit: whoops I just saw ##\dot{\alpha^2}=(p+qt)^2##, that shouldn't matter since ##p=0## right? (Or is it still useful for relationships?)

Potatochip911 said:
Edit: whoops I just saw ##\dot{\alpha^2}=(p+qt)^2##, that shouldn't matter since ##p=0## right? (Or is it still useful for relationships?)
Yes, you could have taken ##\dot{\alpha}=qt##

Likes Potatochip911
ehild said:
Yes, you could have taken ##\dot{\alpha}=qt##
Hmm ##\alpha=\alpha_0-\frac{MG}{2R}t^2=\alpha_0-\frac{gR}{2}t^2## seems inaccurate to me?

You lost an R. Go back to #8.

Likes Potatochip911
ehild said:
You lost an R. Go back to #8.

$$
\dot{\alpha^2}=\frac{\frac{2MG}{R}(\alpha_0-\alpha)}{R+\alpha_0}\approxeq \frac{2MG}{R^2}(-pt-qt^2) \\
q^2t^2=-gqt^2\Longrightarrow q=\ddot{\alpha}=-g \\
\dot{\alpha}=-gt\Longrightarrow \alpha=\alpha_0-\frac{gt^2}{2}
$$
This was a hilarious amount of work for an equation that anyone could've guessed lol. I have a question pertaining to the final method we used to solve for ##q=\ddot{\alpha}##, is the method of using ##\dot{\alpha}=p+qt## and ##\alpha=a_0+pt+qt^2/2## then comparing coefficients a common way for solving a certain type of differential equation or was it just a simple method to solve this specific case.

Potatochip911 said:
$$
\dot{\alpha^2}=\frac{\frac{2MG}{R}(\alpha_0-\alpha)}{R+\alpha_0}\approxeq \frac{2MG}{R^2}(-pt-qt^2) \\
q^2t^2=-gqt^2\Longrightarrow q=\ddot{\alpha}=-g \\
\dot{\alpha}=-gt\Longrightarrow \alpha=\alpha_0-\frac{gt^2}{2}
$$
This was a hilarious amount of work for an equation that anyone could've guessed lol. I have a question pertaining to the final method we used to solve for ##q=\ddot{\alpha}##, is the method of using ##\dot{\alpha}=p+qt## and ##\alpha=a_0+pt+qt^2/2## then comparing coefficients a common way for solving a certain type of differential equation or was it just a simple method to solve this specific case.
We did a lot of approximations, and one has to take care with them. Sometimes it works. It worked now.
Do you can solve differential equations? Try to get the result by solving the equation you got for alpha in Post #3 without the taylor expansion.

Likes Potatochip911
ehild said:
We did a lot of approximations, and one has to take care with them. Sometimes it works. It worked now.
Do you can solve differential equations? Try to get the result by solving the equation you got for alpha in Post #3 without the taylor expansion.

Hmm I can't seem to get it.

Should I try to solve ##\dot{\alpha^2}=2g(\alpha_0-\alpha)## by finding a homogeneous solution and a particular solution or should I try to obtain a different ##DE##?

Potatochip911 said:
Hmm I can't seem to get it.

Should I try to solve ##\dot{\alpha^2}=2g(\alpha_0-\alpha)## by finding a homogeneous solution and a particular solution or should I try to obtain a different ##DE##?
It is not a linear equation. Take the square root, separate variables,and use u=√(α0-α) substitution in the integral.

Likes Potatochip911
ehild said:
It is not a linear equation. Take the square root, separate variables,and use u=√(α0-α) substitution in the integral.
Ok so I have ##d\alpha=\sqrt{2g(\alpha_0-\alpha)}dt##, if I set ##u=\sqrt{\alpha_0-\alpha}## then ##du=-\frac{1}{2}(\alpha_0-\alpha)^{-1/2}dt## so I should rewrite ##d\alpha## as ##\frac{2g(\alpha_0-\alpha)dt}{\sqrt{\alpha_0-\alpha}}=2gu^2du## then ##\alpha=\frac{2}{3}gu^3=\frac{2}{3}g(\alpha_0-\alpha)|_{0}^{t}##, is this correct? I am going to have different powers of ##\alpha## so I am skeptical.

Potatochip911 said:
Ok so I have ##d\alpha=\sqrt{2g(\alpha_0-\alpha)}dt##, if I set ##u=\sqrt{\alpha_0-\alpha}## then ##du=-\frac{1}{2}(\alpha_0-\alpha)^{-1/2}dt## so I should rewrite ##d\alpha## as ##\frac{2g(\alpha_0-\alpha)dt}{\sqrt{\alpha_0-\alpha}}=2gu^2du## then ##\alpha=\frac{2}{3}gu^3=\frac{2}{3}g(\alpha_0-\alpha)|_{0}^{t}##, is this correct? I am going to have different powers of ##\alpha## so I am skeptical.
Separate the equation first: everything that is alpha-related on one side, dt on the other side.

Likes Potatochip911
ehild said:
Separate the equation first: everything that is alpha-related on one side, dt on the other side.

Okay I made an absurd amount of attention errors while trying to solve this but I finally got it.

##\dot{\alpha}=\sqrt{2g(\alpha_0-\alpha)}\Longrightarrow \frac{\dot{\alpha}}{\sqrt{\alpha_0-\alpha}}=\sqrt{2g}\Longrightarrow \frac{d\alpha}{\sqrt{\alpha_0-\alpha}}=\sqrt{2g}t##

then ##u=\sqrt{\alpha_0-\alpha}##, ##d\alpha=-2udu## $$
(-2udu)/u)=-2du=\sqrt{2g}dt\Longrightarrow du=\sqrt{g/2}dt \\
u|=\sqrt{g/2}t\Longrightarrow \sqrt{\alpha_0-\alpha}|_{\alpha_0}^{\alpha}=\sqrt{\alpha_0-\alpha}-0=\sqrt{g/2}t \\
\alpha_0-\alpha=gt^2/2\Longrightarrow \alpha=\alpha_0-gt^2/2$$

Potatochip911 said:
$$
\alpha=\alpha_0-gt^2/2$$
Much better :smile:

Likes Potatochip911

1. What is a free falling particle?

A free falling particle is an object that is only under the influence of gravity and is in a state of motion towards the Earth's surface.

2. What is the equation used to describe the motion of a free falling particle near Earth's surface?

The equation used is called the free fall equation, which is d^2x/dt^2 = -g, where x is the position of the particle, t is time, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2 near Earth's surface).

3. How is the acceleration due to gravity related to the motion of a free falling particle?

The acceleration due to gravity is the constant force acting on the particle, causing it to accelerate towards the Earth's surface. This acceleration remains constant regardless of the mass or size of the object.

4. What are the initial conditions needed to solve for the motion of a free falling particle?

The initial position and initial velocity of the particle are needed to solve for its motion using the free fall equation. These values can be determined by conducting experiments or measuring them using instruments.

5. What are the limitations of the free fall equation?

The free fall equation assumes that there is no air resistance or other external forces acting on the particle. In reality, these forces may affect the motion of the particle and therefore the equation may not be completely accurate.