1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Free Particle and the Schroedinger Equation

1. Oct 31, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider the time-dependent one-dimensional Schroedinger Equation for the free particle, i.e. let the Potential be [itex]V(x)=0[/itex]. Consider a wave packet, i.e.
    [itex]\psi(x,t)=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}=A(k)\exp[i(kx-\omega(k)t]dk[/itex].
    Consider especially the Amplitude distribution
    [itex]A(k)=\alpha\cdot\exp[-(k-k_0)^2\cdot d_0^2]\exp[-ikx_0][/itex]
    (then it says "Gaussian Wave Packet").

For t=0, [itex]\psi(x,0)[/itex] is given by a simple expression. Calculate this [itex]\psi(x,0)[/itex] and sketch the associated probabilty density [itex]\rho(x,t=0)=|\psi(x,0)|^2[/itex]. What must α be, so that the wave function is normalized, i.e. [itex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \rho(x,t=0)dx=1[/itex]? What is the physical meaning behind "the parameters" [itex]k_0, x_0, d_0[/itex]?

Hint: [itex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \exp[-(s+c)^2]ds=\sqrt{\pi}[/itex] for all [itex]c\in[/itex] ℂ

2. Relevant equations

Schroedinger's Equation

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well, this is a big one. First of all I tried the final question. We were taught that there is a "k-Space" and a "position space" in which the probability density is a gaussian bell curve. x0 should be the highest point of the curve in the position space, whereas k0 is the corresponding amount in the k-space. Also, when I look at the lecture notes, k0 is a vector which corresponds to a wave with a certain momentum. Somehow I don't think that this explaination is too good. What do you think?

Now for the first question. I tried to insert the amplitude distribution into the wave function and then tried to combine the exponential functions. That looked like this:

[itex]\psi(x,0)=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}{\alpha\cdot\exp[-(k-k_0)^2\cdot d_0^2]\exp[-ikx_0]\exp[i(kx)]dk}[/itex]

[itex]\psi(x,0)=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}{\alpha\cdot\exp[-(k^2-2kk_0+k_0^2)\cdot d_0^2]\exp[-ikx_0]\exp[i(kx)]dk}[/itex]

[itex]\psi(x,0)=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}{\alpha\cdot\exp[k^2d_0^2+2kk_0d_0^2+k_0^2d_0^2]\exp[-ikx_0]\exp[i(kx)]dk}[/itex]

And finally arrived at
    [itex]\psi(x,0)=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}{\alpha\cdot\exp[k^2d_0^2+2kk_0d_0^2+k_0^2d_0^2-ikx_0+ikx]dk}[/itex]

I was told that I would now have to use a completing the square to bring that into a form [itex]Ak^2+Bk+C[/itex], so that I could use the "hint" given in the task. But I got some kind of mental block there. Could someone please help me?

Final question: Is it true that when we look for α, all that has to be done is to set the Integral of ρ multiplied by α equal to 1 and α then is like 1/ρ ?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2011 #2
    An addendum, just received an E-Mail from the professor, who said that due to many people having difficulties, he would give the solution for ψ, and he said it looks like this:

[itex]\psi(x,0)=\frac{1}{\pi^{1/4}\cdot 2^{1/4}\cdot d_0^{1/2}}\exp[i\cdot k_0(x-x_0)]\exp[-\frac{(x-x_0)^2}{4d_0^2}][/itex]

When I use that, should the probability density be:

[itex]\rho(x,0)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}d}\exp[2ik(x-x_0)]\exp[-\frac{(x-x_0)^2}{2d^2}][/itex]

?

4. Oct 31, 2011 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Use the substitution k' = k-k0 first. That'll simplify the algebra quite a bit.
    You simply set the integral of ρ equal to 1 and solve for [itex]\alpha[/itex].

Almost. The probability density isn't ψ2; it's |ψ|2*ψ.

5. Oct 31, 2011 #4
    Ah, thank you! When I take the complex conjugate of ψ for taking the square, then I get

[itex]\rho(x,t=0)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}d}\exp[-\frac{(x-x_0)^2}{2d^2}][/itex].

Looks like a gaussian bell curve to me from the form of the equation. Could that be it?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook