Finding the position operator in momentum space

I think? I may be off by a factor of ##-1/2π\hbar##? I think you are off by a factor of ##-i/2π##.In summary, the conversation was
member 545369

Homework Statement

Given ##\hat{x} =i \hbar \partial_p##, find the position operator in the position space. Calculate ##\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \phi^*(p) \hat{x} \phi(p) dp ## by expanding the momentum wave functions through Fourier transforms. Use ##\delta(z) = \int_{\infty}^{\infty}\exp(izy) dz ##.

Homework Equations

I'll explicitly state them in my attempt

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
First we focus on the integrand. We move over to position space through Fourier transformations $$\phi^*(p) \hat{x} \phi(p) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{1}{2 \pi \hbar} \exp(-ipx/\hbar) \psi(x) i \hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial p} \left(\exp(ipy/\hbar) \psi^*(y) \right) dx dy $$ my reasoning is that I can move over conjugate of the spatial wave function as it does not explicitly depend on momentum. Upon simplifying a little we get $$ \phi^*(p) \hat{x} \phi(p) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{-y}{2 \pi \hbar} \exp\left(\frac{ip(y-x)}{\hbar}\right) \psi(x)\psi^*(y)dx dy $$ which we integrate with respect to ##p## to get
$$ \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \phi^*(p) \hat{x} \phi(p) =\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{-y}{2 \pi \hbar} \exp\left(\frac{ip(y-x)}{\hbar}\right) \psi(x)\psi^*(y)dx dy dp$$ utilizing the dirac delta function relation from earlier, we find that $$ \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \exp\left(\frac{ip(y-x)}{\hbar}\right) dp = \delta\left(\frac{y-x}{\hbar}\right) $$ which, when put back into our integral and integrated with respect to y, simply substitutes ##y \rightarrow x## in the integrand (by the definition of the dirac delta function $$ \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \phi^*(p) \hat{x} \phi(p) =\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{-x}{2 \pi \hbar} \psi(x)\psi^*(x)dx$$ which is close, I think? I may be off by a factor of ##-1/2π\hbar##? Ideally, since ##\hat{x} = x## in position space, I should get
$$ \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} x \psi(x)\psi^*(x)dx = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \psi(x) \hat{x} \psi^*(x)dx $$
no? I don't know, i feel like I've gone so much through the weeds that either everything is wrong or my brain is fried and I can't see that I've actually gotten the right answer (unlikely). A bit of guidance would be much appreciated!

EDIT: I published this on safari and the formatting seemed off (some sentences were not being displayed). It looks fine on chrome, though. Weird!

Physics news on Phys.org
talrefae said:
Use ##\delta(z) = \int_{\infty}^{\infty}\exp(izy) dz ##.
There is a missing factor of ##2 \pi## somewhere in this equation.

First we focus on the integrand. We move over to position space through Fourier transformations $$\phi^*(p) \hat{x} \phi(p) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{1}{2 \pi \hbar} \exp(-ipx/\hbar) \psi(x) i \hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial p} \left(\exp(ipy/\hbar) \psi^*(y) \right) dx dy $$
I think the signs in the arguments of the two exponential functions here need to be switched.

See for example https://quantummechanics.ucsd.edu/ph130a/130_notes/node82.html

utilizing the dirac delta function relation from earlier, we find that $$ \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \exp\left(\frac{ip(y-x)}{\hbar}\right) dp = \delta\left(\frac{y-x}{\hbar}\right) $$
Again, a missing factor of ##2 \pi##. Also, you need to handle the ##\hbar## correctly when using this. See the second equation here
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirac_delta_function#Scaling_and_symmetry

Last edited:

1. What is the position operator in momentum space?

The position operator in momentum space, also known as the position wave function, is a mathematical operator used to describe the position of a particle in momentum space. It is defined as the Fourier transform of the position operator in position space.

2. How is the position operator in momentum space related to the momentum operator?

The position operator in momentum space and the momentum operator are related through the uncertainty principle. The position operator in momentum space is the inverse of the momentum operator, and their product is equal to the identity operator.

3. What is the significance of finding the position operator in momentum space?

Finding the position operator in momentum space is an important step in understanding the wave nature of particles, as well as in solving quantum mechanical problems involving the position and momentum of a particle. It also helps in visualizing the probability distribution of a particle in momentum space.

4. How is the position operator in momentum space used in quantum mechanics?

The position operator in momentum space is used in quantum mechanics to determine the possible states and energies of a particle. It is also used to calculate the expectation value of the position and momentum of a particle, as well as to solve the Schrödinger equation for a particle in a given potential.

5. Is the position operator in momentum space a Hermitian operator?

Yes, the position operator in momentum space is a Hermitian operator, meaning it is equal to its own conjugate transpose. This property is important in quantum mechanics as it ensures that the eigenvalues of the operator are real, and the corresponding eigenstates are orthogonal.