Normalizing wavefunction obtained from Lorentzian wave packet

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of an equation to solve for the wave function, using Jordan's Lemma and Cauchy Residue Theorem. The resulting wave function is found to be incorrect and the conversation explores the possibility of an error in evaluating the contour integral. The use of two contours is mentioned in accordance with Jordan's Lemma.
XProtocol
Homework Statement
1. Consider a wave packet with $$ A(k) = \frac {N}{k^2 + \alpha^2} $$
where ##\alpha## is some positive constant. This is Lorentzian wave packet.

a. Find the form of ##\psi(x) ## (You may have to use your knowledge of contour integrals in Complex analysis)
b. Find normalization N such that $$ \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} dx\left | \psi(x) \right |^2 = 1 $$
Relevant Equations
Wave obtained by superposing waves with different amplitude ##A(k)## depending on k is given by:
$$\psi(x) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} A(k)e^{ikx}dk $$
Part a: Using the above equation. I got
$$\psi(x) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{Ne^{ikx}}{k^2 + \alpha^2}dk $$

So basically I needed to solve above integral to get the wave function. To solve it, I used Jordan's Lemma & Cauchy Residue Theorem.
And obtained $$\psi(x) = \frac {N \pi e^{-x\alpha}}{\alpha} $$

For part b, I need to find value of N by solving the equation: $$ \frac {\pi ^2 N^2}{\alpha^2} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-2x\alpha} dx = 1 $$
Which I obtained as $$|\psi(x)|^2 = \frac {N^2\pi^2}{\alpha^2} e^{-2x\alpha} $$
Now, this integral is not converging. So either my wavefunction is incorrect or I'm doing something wrong in part b. A friend of mine also got same ##\psi(x) ## due to which I'm really confused as to where could we be going wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
You didn't evaluate the contour integral correctly. You should have two contours, one for ##x>0## and one for ##x<0##.

Likes vanhees71
I'm not able to understand why it will have two contours and not 1 i.e ##x = -\infty## to ## x=+\infty##. Can you please explain

Last edited:

1. What is a Lorentzian wave packet?

A Lorentzian wave packet is a type of wave function that describes the behavior of a quantum particle in a specific energy state. It is characterized by a Lorentzian distribution, which is a symmetrical bell-shaped curve. This wave packet is commonly used in quantum mechanics to study the behavior of particles in systems with a finite lifetime.

2. How is the wavefunction obtained from a Lorentzian wave packet normalized?

The normalization of a wavefunction obtained from a Lorentzian wave packet involves dividing the wavefunction by the square root of its integral over all space. This ensures that the total probability of finding the particle in any location is equal to 1, which is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics.

3. Why is normalizing the wavefunction important?

Normalizing the wavefunction is important because it ensures that the total probability of finding the particle in any location is equal to 1. This allows us to accurately predict the behavior of the particle and make meaningful comparisons between different wavefunctions.

4. Can the normalization of a wavefunction obtained from a Lorentzian wave packet change over time?

Yes, the normalization of a wavefunction obtained from a Lorentzian wave packet can change over time. This is because the wave packet is a dynamic entity that evolves according to the Schrödinger equation. As the particle moves through space, the shape and amplitude of the wave packet can change, which can affect its normalization.

5. What are the limitations of using a Lorentzian wave packet to describe a quantum particle?

One limitation of using a Lorentzian wave packet is that it assumes the particle has a finite lifetime. This may not accurately describe particles with an infinite lifetime, such as fundamental particles like electrons. Additionally, Lorentzian wave packets are only applicable for describing particles in free space, and may not accurately describe particles in more complex systems with external forces or interactions.