Free particle - Eigenstates expansion

In summary: I have...)The momentum wave function should be in the form \psi_p=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi\hbar}}\int_{\mathbb{R}}\psi(x)e^{i\frac{p}{\hbar}x}\;dp, where p is the momentum.
tunafish
Hi everybody!
Two question for you:

1) Take a free particle, moving in the x direction.
Its (time indipendent) wave function, in terms of the momentum is [itex]\psi(x)=\frac{e^{i\frac{p}{\hbar}x}}{\sqrt{2\pi\hbar}}[/itex].

Now, i know the momentum of the particle: p.
So i should not know anything about its position, according to the uncertainty principle.

Effectively i don't get any information on "where" the particle is looking at the wave function; but the fact that the [itex]\psi[/itex] depends on the position does mean something particular?2) Take an eigenstate of the hamiltonan operator [itex]|E\rangle[/itex].
Now, they say that this wave function, in terms of the momentum is:[tex]\psi_p=\langle p|E\rangle[/tex] or, expressed with position eigenstates:[tex]\psi_x=\langle x|E\rangle[/tex]But those are just numbers, so it should't be like this instead:[tex]\psi_p=\int |p\rangle\langle p|E\rangle\;dp[/tex]and [tex]\psi_x=\int |x\rangle\langle x|E\rangle\;dx[/tex]??

Thanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
tunafish said:
Hi everybody!
Two question for you:

1) Take a free particle, moving in the x direction.
Its (time indipendent) wave function, in terms of the momentum is [itex]\psi(x)=\frac{e^{i\frac{p}{\hbar}x}}{\sqrt{2\pi \hbar}}[/itex].

Now, i know the momentum of the particle: p.
So i should not know anything about its position, according to the uncertainty principle.

Effectively i don't get any information on "where" the particle is looking at the wave function; but the fact that the [itex]\psi[/itex] depends on the position does mean something particular?

No, nothing particular except for the lack of a direct probabilistic interpretation, since the wavefunction is not normalized.

psi(x) is an eigenfunction of the momentum operator in the coordinate representation. psi(p) as the Fourier transformation of psi(x) would be then the eigenfunction of the coordinate operator in the momentum representation.
2) Take an eigenstate of the hamiltonan operator [itex]|E\rangle[/itex].
Now, they say that this wave function, in terms of the momentum is:[tex]\psi_p=\langle p|E\rangle[/tex] or, expressed with position eigenstates:[tex]\psi_x=\langle x|E\rangle[/tex]But those are just numbers, so it should't be like this instead:[tex]\psi_p=\int |p\rangle\langle p|E\rangle\;dp[/tex]and [tex]\psi_x=\int |x\rangle\langle x|E\rangle\;dx[/tex]??

No, you have to pay attention,

[tex]\psi_x=\int |x\rangle\langle x|E\rangle\;dx[/tex]

is not correct since it's not an expansion of the same function wrt a basis of (generalized) eigenvectors of some self-adjoint operator (in this case x). So the correct version would be

[tex] |E\rangle = \int_{x} dx ~ \langle x|E\rangle |x\rangle [/tex]

I'll answer (2), and you've pretty much got it straight already. ψ(p) = <p|ψ> is the wavefunction, a complex-valued function of p representing the probability amplitude for finding the particle with momentum p. On the other hand, |ψ> = ∫|p><p|ψ> is the state, a superposition of momentum eigenstates with coefficients <p|ψ>. They're usually interchangeable, and which you use depends on how comfortable you feel with the Dirac bra-ket notation that is used for states.

Numbers [itex]\psi(x)=<x|\psi>[/itex] instead of state vectors [itex]|\psi>[/itex] appear in Schrödinger's Equation, if you work in a chosen representation (like the position or momentum representation). To do this, you multiply
[tex]i\hbar\partial_t |\psi> = H|\psi>[/tex]
by [itex]<x|[/itex] respectivly [itex]<p|[/itex].

Last edited:
Thanks for the attention!
But I still have some problem with the 2) part.

Basically, when I have to solve the eigenvalue problem for a generic hamilonian [itex]H|\psi\rangle=E|\psi\rangle[/itex] what exactly is the [itex]\psi[/itex] I'm plugging in?

I mean, I have to choose the representation (coordinate or momentum) to use before solving that, becaouse in the coordinate one the momentum is an operator [itex]-i\hbar\nabla p[/itex] while in the momentum representation the position operator is [itex]i\hbar\nabla x[/itex], so effectively I have to decide what to use first.

So i can guess that there is a wave function of my particle, [itex]|\psi\rangle[/itex], but the one I'm actually using to solve the hamiltonian is [itex]\psi_x=\langle x|\psi\rangle[/itex] or [itex]\psi_p=\langle p|\psi\rangle[/itex].

And so all the eigenfunction of the hamiltonian I get are function in the representation i choose, for example in the coordinate rapresentation the eigenfunction for the particle in the infinite well is like [itex]|\psi_n\rangle=\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{a}}{\sin(n\pi x)dx}[/itex]; and if I integrate that in a fixed interval it gives me the probability of finding the particle in that interval, so it certainly is in the coordinate representation.What confuses me is that I've concluded that the eigenfunction [itex]|\psi_n\rangle=\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{a}}{\sin(n\pi x)dx}[/itex] is a wave function in the coordinate representation; BUT also a ket. So it is a [itex]\psi_x=\langle x|\psi\rangle[/itex] and a [itex]|\psi\rangle[/itex] at the same time.
-------------------------------However should not the momentum wave function be in the form [tex]\psi_p=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi\hbar}}\int_{\mathbb{R}}\psi(x)e^{i\frac{p}{\hbar}x}\;dp[/tex]with [itex]\psi(x)=\langle x|p\rangle[/itex]??

(I've already answered myself to this one, haven't I? :tongue2:)

Last edited:
tunafish, You probably have it straight now, but just in case let me summarize. When you write H|ψ> = E|ψ>, you're using Dirac notation and |ψ> is a state vector. Choosing a representation means for example that you insert |x>'s everywhere: ∫dx'<x|H|x'><x'|ψ> = E<x|ψ>. Now you can say p is a differential operator, p = -iħ∂/∂x, and put that in the Hamiltonian. The resulting equation can be solved for <x|ψ> = ψ(x), which is a function.

Your notation is still not right.
tunafish said:
What confuses me is that I've concluded that the eigenfunction [itex]|\psi_n\rangle=\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{a}}{\sin(n\pi x)dx}[/itex] is a wave function in the coordinate representation; BUT also a ket.
Yes, this expression doesn't make sense. On the left-hand side, you have a state vector (ket, element of Hilbert space). On the right hand side, you have the component ψ(x) of this vector in the position representation (a wave function, if you take x as variable). Also, the dx is wrong here.

How do you get this expression? The right way to proceed is this: start with the Schrödinger Equation for the state vector, apply the bra <x| or <p| to both sides and evaluate the scalar product for the Hamiltonian. If you write this out step by step, we are able to tell you what went wrong.
tunafish said:
However should not the momentum wave function be in the form [tex]\psi_p=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi\hbar}}\int_{\mathbb{R}}\psi(x)e^{i\frac{p}{\hbar}x}\;dp[/tex]with [itex]\psi(x)=\langle x|p\rangle[/itex]??
No, <p|x> is the exponential. Do you know, how to get this expression? You start with ψ(p)=<p|ψ> and insert the completeness relation in respect to the position states in between <p| and |ψ>.

Ok, i figured that out, my thanks to Bill_k and Kith!

Kith, please tell me if this is correct (but I think it is):

1) It's [itex]\langle x|\psi\rangle=\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{a}}\sin(n\pi x)[/itex]
yeah, i can see why now. And i don't know why on Earth I've put that dx!2) The momentum wave function is indeed wrong.
In fact:[tex]\psi_p=\langle p|\psi\rangle=\int_{\mathbb{R}}{\langle p|x\rangle\langle x|\psi\rangle\;dx}[/tex]
where [itex]\langle p|x\rangle=\frac{e^{-i\frac{p}{\hbar}x}}{\sqrt{2\pi\hbar}}[/itex] and [itex]\psi_x=\langle x|\psi\rangle [/itex]Thanks to both of you guys!

Last edited:

1. What is a free particle?

A free particle is a particle that is not subject to any external forces or interactions. It moves freely without any constraints.

2. What is an eigenstate?

An eigenstate is a state in which a physical system exists in a specific energy, momentum, or other observable quantity. It is a solution to the Schrödinger equation and represents a stationary state of the system.

3. How is the eigenstates expansion used in studying free particles?

The eigenstates expansion is used to describe the wave function of a free particle in terms of its eigenstates, which are solutions to the Schrödinger equation. This allows us to understand the behavior of free particles and make predictions about their properties.

4. What is the significance of the coefficients in the eigenstates expansion?

The coefficients in the eigenstates expansion represent the probability amplitudes for the particle to be in a particular eigenstate. They determine the relative weight of each eigenstate in the overall wave function and can be used to calculate the probability of the particle being in a certain state.

5. Can the eigenstates expansion be used for particles in a potential field?

Yes, the eigenstates expansion can also be applied to particles in a potential field. In this case, the eigenstates represent the energy levels of the particle in the potential and the coefficients determine the probability of the particle being in a particular energy state.