Free particle in one dimension

In summary, the question is asking what the most probable value of the kinetic energy is, and which values of the momentum can never be found when measuring it. Based on the information provided, it seems like the most probable value of the kinetic energy is zero, and the momentum cannot be found when measuring it.
angass
Hi,
I´m not sure if my way of tackling a question, probably it's a trivial problem, but it's important for me to get it right so any help will be greeted.
The question is as follows:

Problem: consider a particle in a one-dimensional system. The wave function ψ(x) is as follows:
ψ(x)= 0 for (-∞<x<0),
ψ(x)= 1/√a for (0<x<a)
ψ(x)= 0 for (a<x<∞)

i) if the kinetic energy is measured what is the most probable value?
ii) which values of the momentum can never be found when measuring it?

My reasoning:
i) I use the operator for kinetic energy: K= -[itex]\frac{h^2}{2m}[/itex][itex]\frac{∂^2}{∂x^2}[/itex]
which when applied: ∫ψ(x)*Kψ(x)dx gives me zero.
If this was right I assume the most probable value of the kinetic energy is zero.
ii) I have no clue whatsoever what the question means.

Thanks and forgive my bad english, regards from Spain!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi angass, welcome to PF!

angass said:
The wave function ψ(x) is as follows:
ψ(x)= 0 for (-∞<x<0),
ψ(x)= 1/√a for (0<x<a)
ψ(x)= 0 for (a<x<∞)
Is that correct? Because this is not a continuous function, and therefore not a valid wave function.

This looks suspiciously like a griffiths or leibowitz homework problem...

You want to take express psi(x) in a Fourier basis (as a sum of e^i(kx-wt)). Doing the Fourier transform will be a simple integral from 0 to a with 1/a^1/2 as a constant.

i) You're forgetting the edges at 0 and a. The derivative is not zero there. Once you express this function as Fourier expansion, you'll see you don't get zero anymore.

ii) apply the definition of p = i hbar d/dx to the Fourier transform. The answer should drop out. I expect some of the coefficients for specific k terms in the Fourier transform will be zero. (the Fourier basis is an eigen value of the momentum and kinetic energy operator)

rigetFrog said:
This looks suspiciously like a griffiths or leibowitz homework problem...

Same here mate.

To the OP if it is we have a homework section.

But if it isn't - Google is your friend eg:
http://www.colorado.edu/physics/TZD/PageProofs1/TAYL07-203-247.I.pdf

Thanks
Bill

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a free particle in one dimension?

A free particle in one dimension is a theoretical concept in physics that represents a particle that is not subject to any external forces or interactions. It moves along a single axis without any constraints or obstructions.

2. How is a free particle in one dimension described mathematically?

In quantum mechanics, a free particle in one dimension is described by a wave function, which is a mathematical function that represents the probability of finding the particle at a particular position and time. The wave function satisfies the Schrödinger equation, which describes the time evolution of the particle's wave function.

3. What are the properties of a free particle in one dimension?

A free particle in one dimension has a constant velocity, meaning it moves at a constant speed in a straight line without changing direction. It also has a continuous energy spectrum, meaning it can have any energy value within a certain range. Additionally, it does not have a definite position or momentum, as described by the Heisenberg uncertainty principle.

4. What is the significance of studying free particles in one dimension?

Studying free particles in one dimension is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of quantum particles in simple and idealized scenarios. This understanding can then be applied to more complex systems and phenomena in physics.

5. Can a free particle in one dimension exhibit wave-like behavior?

Yes, a free particle in one dimension can exhibit wave-like behavior, as described by the wave function. This behavior is characterized by phenomena such as interference and diffraction, and is a fundamental aspect of quantum mechanics.