Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Free particle wavefunction represent a fixed profile= wavepacket?

1. Nov 3, 2013 #1
    Why the Griffiths book says : any function of x and t that depends on these variables in the special combination (x±vt) represent a wave of fixed profile, traveling in the -+x direction at speed v...
    I don't really get the reason why from 2 terms of wavefunction can become only one term?

Please help.
    Thanks

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2013 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Griffiths means that your wave function is either of the form [itex]\psi(t,x)=f(x-v t)[/itex] or of the form [itex]\psi(t,x)=f(x+v t)[/itex]. Obviously the shape of the wave stays the same for each time, but it's moving to the right or left, respectively.

4. Nov 3, 2013 #3
    How do you know there are two form of wavefunction?
    By drawing out a graph of wavefunction against x? To see they are actually two superposition of two traveling wave?
    Those information are from the wave function? How do you know? Do I miss any wave knowledge? Where should I study these?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook