Free Springer books during lockdown

In summary, during this lockdown, Springer is offering a large selection of expensive scientific books for free. By opening a pdf file, one can access a complete list of books with links to download from the Springer webpage. One of the books mentioned is "Introduction to Statistical Learning with Applications in R" by Gareth James, Daniela Witten, Trevor Hastie, and Robert Tibshirani. It has been available for free for some time and can be downloaded from the Springer website or the author's companion course website. There are also over 500 other free textbooks available from Springer.
dRic2
Gold Member
It appears that during this lockdown Springer is making lots of expensive scientific books available for free. Open the pdf file and you will see a complete list of books with the relative links. You'll be redirected to the Springer webpage and there you can freely download any of those books mentioned in the list!

PS: I'd like to download a book about statistics and data analysis, do you happen to be familiar with some of the books in the list?

Attachments

• Springer Ebooks (1).pdf
    693.5 KB · Views: 679
Likes Filip Larsen, DaveE, Irishdoug and 15 others
Physics news on Phys.org
Wow, quite a selection! Thanks for the heads-up. :smile:

Likes PhDeezNutz, vanhees71 and dRic2
Thank you very much for this post!

Likes vanhees71 and dRic2
I like this book, which was used in a course I took in Spring 2019.

(ISLR) Introduction to Statistical Learning with Applications in R, by
Gareth James, Daniela Witten, Trevor Hastie & Robert Tibshirani. Publ. Springer,
New York (2017). ISBN-10: 1461471370. ISBN-13: 978-1461471370

It has already been free for some time. You can download from Springer here: https://link.springer.com/book/10.1007/978-1-4614-7138-7
(NOTE: the free download is no longer available from that link)

Or go to the website with the companion course -
Note, this is a new link from the author - https://www.statlearning.com/

Last edited:
Likes dRic2, PhDeezNutz and vanhees71
@Keith_McClary Great page! I really went to town on some of those books. A lot of them look pretty interesting.

Thanks for posting.

diogenesNY

Likes scottdave

What is the "Free Springer books during lockdown" initiative?

The "Free Springer books during lockdown" initiative is a program launched by Springer Nature, one of the largest academic publishers in the world, in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. It provides free access to over 500 textbooks from various disciplines for students and researchers who are affected by the lockdowns and unable to access physical resources.

How do I access the free Springer books?

To access the free Springer books, you can visit the SpringerLink website and browse the available titles. You can also search for specific titles or subjects using keywords. Once you find a book you want to read, you can click on the title to access the full text. You may be prompted to create a free Springer account to download the book.

How long will the free access last?

The free access to the Springer books will last until the end of July 2020. However, the initiative may be extended depending on the situation and the need for continued access to online resources during the pandemic.

Are all Springer books available for free during the lockdown?

No, not all Springer books are available for free during the lockdown. The initiative only includes selected textbooks from various disciplines, and not all titles from the publisher's catalog. However, there is a wide range of subjects and titles available, and new books are being added regularly.

Can I download the free Springer books for offline reading?

Yes, you can download the free Springer books for offline reading. Once you have created a free Springer account, you can download the books in PDF format or read them online. The downloaded books can be accessed without an internet connection, making it convenient for students and researchers who may not have access to stable internet during the lockdown.