Xori said:
How does it know any difference? It just does what satisfies itself.
It can say "I have free will because I'm choosing to do these things", when from our point of view it really doesn't.
Please forgive and inform me if I have misrepresented you in any way.
Xori, I think your analogy of computers to humans or other animals is incorrect. For it to be pertinent the computer has to "conscious" of some input and able to learn and reason enough about its input to eventually be able to reflect on its own existence. At least that is my guess, though I am sure my ignorance is misleading me and you likely have a different idea about what consciousness is. So I hope you can see what a messy discussion that would become.
Still, your point seems to be that at some higher plain of existence a being may look down on lower beings to see that they really have no choices at all. Ok, that's reasonable enough, but why does it follow that we do not have a "true" free will? Why is your definition of free will more correct than the one I or those you are posting replies to? I define free will as the ability to make choices according to the knowledge I have of the surrounding world. From this viewpoint I have a free will. The only way I lose free will is if an outside force coopts my choices by physically, or possibly mentally, forcing me into an action or belief. But, in order to subscribe to your idea of free will, it seems to me, the only way to have free will is to actually <b>be</b> omniscient.
I mean to say that although it is arguable that there are varying levels of free will (accompanied by varying levels of conciousness) to argue that the existence of an omniscient, omnipotent, god undermines our free will is folly.
--james
p.s. Any comments from those spend more time on this forum (JoeDawg) would be appreciated, and I already left my take on this on the top of the second page.