Freeboard calculations for pontoon with additional weight

In summary, the pontoon dimensions are 114.84m x 15m x 3.4m and it weighs approximately 4,134,240kg. To decrease the freeboard by 0.3m on one side, an evenly distributed weight of an unknown amount must be added 5.96m from one side of the pontoon. This will result in a change of freeboard from 1m to 0.7m on one end and 1.3m on the other end of the pontoon, with the pontoon tilting on its longitudinal axis.
Peter T
I seem to be stuck in a rut and so I was hoping you guys could help me out with this should-be easy question.. The pontoon dimensions are (L x W x H) 114.84m X 15m X 3.4m. Made of concrete. There is about 1m of freeboard so I figured using the water displacement, the structure weights about 4,134,240kg.

What I can't seem to figure out is how much weight is needed to decrease the freeboard by 0.3m on one side which will raise the other side by 0.3m.. The picture added shows that the weight will be added 5.96m from one side of the pontoon (assume that added weight is evenly distributed throughout).

Question seems like it would have a simple answer..

Thanks!

Attachments

• pontoon calc.jpg
    pontoon calc.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 651
Engineering news on Phys.org
If you tip the pontoon, how will you then define freeboard? Where will you measure it?

Dr.D said:
If you tip the pontoon, how will you then define freeboard? Where will you measure it?

I assume the freeboard will change from the initial 1m to 0.7m on one end and 1.3m on the other end of the pontoon. The freeboard in this example is just the water surface to the deck of the pontoon.. Hopefully I've answered your question

** the pontoon would be tilting on its longitudinal axis. So one end up as 0.7m above waterline and the other end of the pontoon will be 1.3m above waterline

1. What is freeboard and why is it important to calculate for a pontoon with additional weight?

Freeboard refers to the distance between the waterline and the deck of a vessel. It is important to calculate for a pontoon with additional weight because it determines the stability and safety of the vessel, as well as its carrying capacity.

2. How is freeboard calculated for a pontoon with additional weight?

The freeboard calculation for a pontoon with additional weight involves determining the total weight of the pontoon and its contents, as well as the volume and buoyancy of the pontoon. This information is then used to calculate the freeboard using specific formulas and equations.

3. What factors can affect the freeboard calculation for a pontoon with additional weight?

Some factors that can affect the freeboard calculation for a pontoon with additional weight include the shape and size of the pontoon, the weight of the additional load, and the density of the water in which the pontoon will be floating.

4. Are there any safety regulations or standards for freeboard calculations on pontoon boats?

Yes, there are safety regulations and standards set by organizations such as the American Boat and Yacht Council (ABYC) for freeboard calculations on pontoon boats. These regulations ensure that the pontoon is safe and stable for its intended use.

5. Can freeboard calculations be done manually or is a computer program necessary?

Freeboard calculations can be done manually using specific formulas and equations, but it can be time-consuming and prone to human error. Many professionals use specialized computer programs to accurately calculate freeboard for pontoon boats with additional weight.