1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Freeboard calculations for pontoon with additional weight

1. Mar 16, 2017 #1
    I seem to be stuck in a rut and so I was hoping you guys could help me out with this should-be easy question.. The pontoon dimensions are (L x W x H) 114.84m X 15m X 3.4m. Made of concrete. There is about 1m of freeboard so I figured using the water displacement, the structure weights about 4,134,240kg.

What I can't seem to figure out is how much weight is needed to decrease the freeboard by 0.3m on one side which will raise the other side by 0.3m.. The picture added shows that the weight will be added 5.96m from one side of the pontoon (assume that added weight is evenly distributed throughout).

Question seems like it would have a simple answer..

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2017 #2
    If you tip the pontoon, how will you then define freeboard? Where will you measure it?

4. Mar 16, 2017 #3
    I assume the freeboard will change from the initial 1m to 0.7m on one end and 1.3m on the other end of the pontoon. The freeboard in this example is just the water surface to the deck of the pontoon.. Hopefully i've answered your question

5. Mar 17, 2017 #4
    ** the pontoon would be tilting on its longitudinal axis. So one end up as 0.7m above waterline and the other end of the pontoon will be 1.3m above waterline

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted