1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Frequency of Photon in Schwarzschild Metric?

1. May 16, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The schwarzschild metric is given by ##ds^2 = -Ac^2 dt^2 + \frac{1}{A} dr^2 + r^2\left( d\theta^2 + sin^2\theta d\phi^2 \right)##. A particle is orbiting in circular motion at radius ##r##.

(a) Find the frequency of photon at infinity ##\omega_{\infty}## in terms of when it is at ##r##, ##\omega_r##.
    (b) Find the range of frequencies.

2007_B5_Q3.png
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have found the geodesic equations:
    [tex]\frac{d}{ds}\left[A \dot t \right] = 0 [/tex]
    [tex]0 = -Ac^2 \dot {t}^2 + \frac{1}{A} \dot {r}^2 + r^2 \dot {\phi}^2 [/tex]
    [tex]\frac{d}{ds} \left[ r^2 \dot \phi \right] = 0 [/tex]

I have also found the christoffel symbols: ##\Gamma^r_{rr}=-\frac{A'}{2A}## and ##\Gamma^r_{tt}=-\frac{1}{2}A A'c^2## and ##\Gamma^r_{\theta \theta} = -Ar## and ##\Gamma^r_{\phi\phi}=-Ar## and ##\Gamma^t_{rt}=\Gamma^r_{tr}=\frac{A'}{2A}##.

Part(a)
    The differential equation is simply the geodesic equation for a photon:
    [tex]\dot p^\mu + \frac{1}{\hbar} \Gamma^\mu_{\alpha \beta} p^\alpha p^\beta = 0 [/tex]
    For the temporal component we have exactly what the question wants:
    [tex]\dot p^0 = - \frac{A'}{A}p^0 \dot r [/tex]

The energy of the photon is given by ##E = p_\mu U^\mu =p_0 U^0+p_1 U^1+p_2 U^2+p_3 U^3 = \hbar \omega##.

How do I find ##p^\mu## and ##U^\mu##?

2. jcsd
  3. May 18, 2015 #2
  4. May 22, 2015 #3
    bumpp

5. May 23, 2015 #4
  6. May 25, 2015 #5
    bumppp

7. May 31, 2015 #6
    bumpp on redshift

8. Jun 1, 2015 #7
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted