Frequent assumption made (z R)

• Thread starter ShizukaSm
  • Start date
In summary, when a length is bigger than another, an assumption is made about the smaller length being "removed" from a formula.
ShizukaSm
Frequently, when a length is bigger than another (say, an axial distance is bigger than the radius of something related) a certain assumption is made and the smaller length is "removed" from a formula. It's hard to describe, so let me show an example:

The magnetic field from a bobbin at an axial distance Z is:

[itex]B = \frac{\mu_0 i R^2}{2(R^2+z^2)^{3/2}}[/itex]

But, according to my book, when [itex] z \gg R [/itex]:

[itex]B = \frac{\mu_0 i R^2}{2z^3}[/itex]

Even though this is just an example I've seen similar assumptions being made multiple times. How do I arrive at such conclusion? I hardly think that I must simply "delete" the smaller length ([itex]R^2[/itex]) in the example, surely there must be a procedure to conclude that precisely?

Physics news on Phys.org
$$(R^2+z^2)^{\frac 3 2} = \left(z^2( \frac{R^2}{z^2}+1)\right)^{\frac 3 2}
\approx (z^2(0+1))^{\frac 3 2}=z^3$$

Likes 1 person
Usually what is done, taking your example for clarity, is to write things in terms of the small quantity
[tex]
\frac{R}{z}\ll 1.
[/tex]
Then you do a Taylor expansion in terms of this small parameter (call it [itex]x[/itex]). In this way you have a meaningful expansion that you can control. In your example:
[tex]
B=\frac{\mu_0iR^2}{2z^3(1+x^2)^{3/2}}=\frac{\mu_0iR^2}{2z^3}+O(x).
[/tex]

Likes 1 person
By the way, [itex]z\gg R[/itex], and similarly, [itex]z/R\ll 1[/itex], do NOT just mean "z is greater than R" and "z/R is less than 1". They mean "z is much greater than R" and "z/R is much less than 1". "much greater" and "much less" is generally interpreted as "one can be ignored, compared to the other". That is if [itex]z\gg R[/itex], z+ R is "indistinguishable" from z, just as if you have $100,000,000, you can "ignore" $1!

kevinferreira said:
[tex]
B=\frac{\mu_0iR^2}{2z^3(1+x^2)^{3/2}}=\frac{\mu_0iR^2}{2z^3}+O(x).
[/tex]
Do you mean
[itex]
=\frac{\mu_0iR^2}{2z^3}(1+O(x^2))
[/itex]?

haruspex said:
Do you mean
[itex]
=\frac{\mu_0iR^2}{2z^3}(1+O(x^2))
[/itex]?

It doesn't really make a difference.
Yes, indeed, the first derivative vanishes at 0, but it doesn't make a difference because we're interested only in the zero order, so what I wrote holds anyway (an [itex]O(x^2)[/itex] is an [itex]O(x)[/itex] ).
Regarding the parenthesis, it makes no difference whatsoever, the notation [itex]O(x^a)[/itex] is sufficiently ambiguous to allow many different notations where you let constants get in or not. I'm using the standard Taylor expansion notation, [itex]f(x)=f(0)+xf'(0)+...[/itex].
So, what I wrote definitely holds, as what you wrote.

What is meant by the term "frequent assumption made (z R)"?

The term "frequent assumption made (z R)" refers to a common belief or idea that is often accepted as true without sufficient evidence or justification. It can also refer to a widely held belief that may not be accurate or may not apply to all situations.

Why is it important to be aware of frequent assumptions in scientific research?

It is important to be aware of frequent assumptions in scientific research because they can lead to biased or inaccurate conclusions. By critically examining assumptions, researchers can ensure that their findings are based on solid evidence and not just commonly held beliefs.

How can scientists identify and challenge frequent assumptions?

Scientists can identify and challenge frequent assumptions by constantly questioning and testing their own beliefs and those of others. This can be done through critical thinking, using multiple sources of evidence, and being open to new perspectives and ideas.

What are some examples of frequent assumptions made in the scientific community?

Some examples of frequent assumptions made in the scientific community include the belief that correlation implies causation, the assumption that humans are the most intelligent species, and the idea that technology always leads to progress.

How can avoiding frequent assumptions improve the quality of scientific research?

Avoiding frequent assumptions can improve the quality of scientific research by promoting more rigorous and objective methods. By challenging assumptions, researchers are more likely to discover new insights and avoid biased conclusions. This ultimately leads to a better understanding of the world and more reliable scientific findings.