Fresh ME Grad with 2.8 GPA - What Options?

  • Thread starter Thread starter XIX
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Gpa Grad
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
XIX
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
I am a fresh BSME graduate with an overall GPA of 2.8/4.0. After filtering through a bunch of job sites online, I must say that I am getting a little discouraged because I see requirements of 3.0+. It is unfortunate because after getting my act together my final two semesters were ~3.3.

I have a year's worth of experience doing manufacturing engineering with some special tooling design incorporated. I am looking at getting into the machine design side of things, particularly in the thermodynamics area. The work experience doesn't really add up to what I want to do but, I'm sure it's worth something.

I understand that once experience is gained GPA matters very little however, it's getting that first position that is the hard part. This is what I see my options being:

1) Personally contacting the hiring representative explaining my situation and interest. The hope here would be that my ambition would come across in taking an active role in obtaining the position rather than leaving it up to the numbers.

2) Taking a job in a manufacturing track (tends to require lower GPA) to get some kind of experience. The thinking here is that I would be able to build a few years experience even though it is not in the specific area that I have in mind which is machine design. After getting a few years experience, I could maybe get a job in an area I envision. This has me a little apprehensive because I fear that it could lock me into an area I don't enjoy but, I could also end up loving it.

3) As a very last resort, go back to school and retake classes to improve the GPA. This is a back against the wall option.

I ask, does GPA really have that much effect on job outcome? Would you suggest that I pick up a less desirable job in an area I wouldn't choose at first glance for sake of experience? If I could get an idea of what some other people in similar situations have experienced, I would feel more at ease knowing what to expect and then plan accordingly.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
XIX said:
1) Personally contacting the hiring representative explaining my situation and interest. The hope here would be that my ambition would come across in taking an active role in obtaining the position rather than leaving it up to the numbers.

This is probably what I'd do. As long as you make the effort to tailor each letter or e-mail so that it doesn't seem cookie-cutter.

Would you suggest that I pick up a less desirable job in an area I wouldn't choose at first glance for sake of experience?

No, but it depends a lot on your situation. If you need a job immediately you need to widen your search scope, for example.