1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fresh start Love Mechanical engineering but dont know what to do

1. Sep 25, 2009 #1
    Hello my name is Jake I am fresh out of high school and in my first semester of school. Over the past few years I have been leaning more and more tward mechanical engineering as a major however the field seems so open I cant decide what is correct for me. I guess im just asking for a little guidance. I love anything mechanical, ever since I was little I was pulling stuff apart and fixing it so it seems like a natural career for me. I am just trying to figure out what a mechanical engineer would do and what are some of the types of jobs they have to do.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2009 #2
    Hi Jake. From http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos027.htm:
    Mechanical engineers research, design, develop, manufacture, and test tools, engines, machines, and other mechanical devices. Mechanical engineering is one of the broadest engineering disciplines. Engineers in this discipline work on power-producing machines such as electric generators, internal combustion engines, and steam and gas turbines. They also work on power-using machines such as refrigeration and air-conditioning equipment, machine tools, material handling systems, elevators and escalators, industrial production equipment, and robots used in manufacturing. Mechanical engineers also design tools that other engineers need for their work. In addition, mechanical engineers work in manufacturing or agriculture production, maintenance, or technical sales; many become administrators or managers.​
    A mechanical engineering degree will also qualify you for jobs like Industrial Production Manager. Mechanical engineers, depending on their complete resume with GPA etc can also end up with any sort of finance job except straight accounting, management consulting, operations research or consulting, technical sales, or a number of other roles. Typical starting salaries are near $60k. You will have many career options available to you as an ME, and if you enjoy the work you should be more committed to your major and do relatively well with your GPA etc.

If your interests are what you say they are, you can't go wrong with a mechanical engineering major. I do suggest you get with career services and start looking for internships and exploring where graduates from your school (and others) have gone in the past. Companies will want to hook you early and you don't have to be a junior to get internships. Bottom line: don't worry about your choice in major, but keep an eye on jobs, internships, and how you are developing your overall resume throughout college, and you'll be just fine.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook