Friction and acceleration problem

In summary, a 50 kg skier skiing down a 25 degree slope experiences an acceleration due to gravity along the slope. The net force equation can be used to calculate the acceleration, which is approximately 4.73 m/s^2. The skier's free body diagram shows that the component of gravity perpendicular to the slope is canceled by the reaction force, leaving only the component along the slope to cause acceleration. Friction is not mentioned in the problem and can be disregarded.
Havenater23

Homework Statement

A 50 kg skier skies down a 25 degree slope, calculate the acceleration.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

It seems pretty simple, I can get all the way down to the Net force of X and get something like : Fx = Sin(25)mg - Cos(25)mgU = ma.

Which I get something like 4.73 m/s^2 .
Can someone else help me get the right answer? I don't know if this one is correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
The skier is accelerating because of gravity. Had there been no slope, he'd simply fall down with acceleration g. Since there is slope, only a component of gravity (along the slope) is effective. What is the component of gravity along the slope?

I understand that gravity is causing the acceleration. But there should be still something different. Gravity's acceleration is 9.8 m/s^2.

The something different is that "effectively" only a component of gravity is acting. Are you familiar with free body diagram? Draw one and you will see that the component of gravity perpendicular is canceled by reaction force on the skier by the ramp, thus leaving you only with the component along the ramp.

Yeah, I know freed body diagrams, and I understand that acceleration of y= 0
But Fn=Cos(25)mg

If 25 degree is the slope of ramp with respect to ground, yes, Fn = mgCos(25). The skier is accelerating along the ramp, so ma = mgSin(25).

Yeah, but isn't there a friction force as well,

Since there was no mention of friction in your question, I was assuming there is not friction. Does the problem say anything about friction?

No, it doesn't mention it. I guess you are right, if it doesn't mention friction then why put it in there. I guess I've just been doing too many problems that have frictions. Ha

1. What is friction?

Friction is a force that resists the motion of an object when it is in contact with another object or surface.

2. How does friction affect acceleration?

Friction can decrease the acceleration of an object by opposing its motion. The more friction present, the more force is needed to overcome it and accelerate the object.

3. Can friction ever increase acceleration?

In some cases, friction can actually increase acceleration. For example, the friction between a car's tires and the road helps to increase its acceleration when the gas pedal is pressed.

4. What factors affect friction and acceleration?

The amount of friction and acceleration are affected by the types of surfaces in contact, the force applied, and the roughness of the surfaces.

5. How can friction be reduced to increase acceleration?

To reduce friction and increase acceleration, one can use lubricants or smoother surfaces, or reduce the force applied to the object.