Friction between motor and flywheel

In summary: You need a free body diagram (FBD).Yes, I would need a FBD.Can you post a picture of your project?Attach filesIn summary, the model is trying to calculate the friction between a motor and a flywheel. The difficulty is finding the normal force between them and if there is slip.
Yarno
TL;DR Summary
For a model, I am making I need to know the friction between a motor and a flywheel. The electric motor is on the side of the flywheel and the idea is when this motor turns the flywheel will start to rotate due to the friction between them. I however can not find a good way to calculate this friction. I could assume that there is no slip and use the static friction formula but then I would also not know how to calculate the normal force between the motor and the flywheel. Some help would greatly
For a model, I am making I need to know the friction between a motor and a flywheel. The electric motor is on the side of the flywheel and the idea is when this motor turns the flywheel will start to rotate due to the friction between them. I however can not find a good way to calculate this friction. I could assume that there is no slip and use the static friction formula but then I would also not know how to calculate the normal force between the motor and the flywheel. Some help would greatly

Engineering news on Phys.org
How, exactly, are they interfacing?

Welcome to PF.

That doesn't sound like a very good way to turn a flywheel, IMO. Why not use a belt drive or a standard geared drive? Or even direct drive?

Can you post more details about the project, including sizes, weights, power, speeds, etc.? And a sketch would also be helpful (click the "Attach files" link below the Edit window to upload PDF or JPEG files). Thanks.

Likes russ_watters
berkeman said:
That doesn't sound like a very good way to turn a flywheel, IMO.
It is a very good way if you assume no slip as mentioned in the OP. This is how all vehicle clutches work.
Yarno said:
I could assume that there is no slip and use the static friction formula but then I would also not know how to calculate the normal force between the motor and the flywheel. Some help would greatly
The following video shows how such a clutch works. The normal force is determined by the diaphragm spring. The normal force required is the one that will provide the static friction you need to lock both rotating parts together.

I also include the following video which is rather long but you see a real clutch in much more detail that you may also need in your design. Near the end of the video, another style of a clutch is presented. Instead of a diaphragm spring, it has normal springs and 3 levers ("fingers") that may illustrate better how a clutch works.

Likes russ_watters and berkeman
jack action said:
It is a very good way if you assume no slip as mentioned in the OP. This is how all vehicle clutches work.
Oh, I didn't think of the clutch geometry -- I had a simpler (worse) geometry in my head when I read the OP. That's why a sketch would be a big help...

Likes Rive, russ_watters and jack action
Okay so here is a little bit more information about the design. We sort of have a floating flywheel with magnetic bearings. That is the reason why we can not just use an axle connected to a motor. The motor itself would when needed be pressed against the flywheel to make it rotate. The contact between the two would be rubber on rubber. The motor should also be able to disconnect when needed.

The difficulty that I have when finding the friction is finding the normal force between them because I assume that is just how hard you press the motor against the flywheel, right? Also if there was slip we would need the kinetic friction coefficient but the difficulty with that is that it is dependent on temperature and speed.

I would appreciate if someone could help with finding the normal force or the kinetic friction coefficient.

Yarno said:
We sort of have a floating flywheel with magnetic bearings.
Well if the flywheel is "floating" you can't just press against it at one point to add energy to it, right?

I'd be inclined to use 4 rubber wheels, spaced at noon, 2 o'clock, 6 o'clock and 8 o'clock around the circumference of the wheel. I would use a motor and belt drive to be able to drive the wheels at noon and 6 o'clock.

The wheels would normally not make contact with the floating flywheel, but when it is time to spin up the flywheel, the rubber wheels would all press in together, making contact at the same time. The motor would be turned on to spin up the flywheel, and then the 4 rubber wheels would be pulled away from the flywheel.

Yarno said:
The difficulty that I have when finding the friction is finding the normal force between them because I assume that is just how hard you press the motor against the flywheel, right?
You need a free body diagram (FBD). Ignoring other resistance forces and simplifying everything, it will boil down to:
$$T=I\alpha$$
Where ##I## is the inertia for the system, flywheel and motor together.
Your torque ##T## is determined by the friction force ##F_f## and the radius ##r## where it is applied on your flywheel, so:
$$ F_f r = I\alpha$$
Thus, considering the friction coefficient ##\mu##, the normal force ##F_n## is:
$$F_n = \frac{I\alpha}{\mu r}$$
This is good if both motor and flywheel are at the same speed.

But if you do the FBD for the motor side and one for the flywheel side, you should see what will be the deceleration on the motor side and the acceleration on the flywheel side as you increase the normal force. When does one catch up with the other? Because the motor could accelerate the flywheel, but the flywheel could stop the motor as well.

Don't forget that beyond friction, your motor has to be able to provide the friction force, and that will be determined by its available power and the rpm at which this happens.

Yarno said:
I would appreciate if someone could help with finding the normal force or the kinetic friction coefficient.
Here you have 3 different static friction coefficients for rubber on rubber that vary from 0.62 to 1.15. I would expect to have an even greater range for the kinetic one, especially considering temperature variations.

Either you ask the manufacturer for this information or, even better, you test it yourself.

So it sounds like you want the flywheel to be free floating yet be able connect to it and spin it up. There's only one way I know of that this can be done and that is with Eddy current coupling.

• Informative
Likes sophiecentaur and berkeman
Averagesupernova said:
So it sounds like you want the flywheel to be free floating yet be able connect to it and spin it up. There's only one way I know of that this can be done and that is with Eddy current coupling.
Air jets can be spaced around the flywheel if there are turbine slots.
But something relevant needs to be discussed and that is the application. Is the flywheel to be used for energy storage? In which case the coupling needs to be strong. If it's to be used as a gyroscope then good bearings and light coupling are appropriate.

Likes berkeman

1. What is friction between motor and flywheel?

Friction between motor and flywheel is the resistance that occurs when the motor and flywheel come into contact with each other. It is caused by the roughness of the surfaces and the force of the motor trying to turn the flywheel.

2. How does friction affect the performance of a motor and flywheel system?

Friction between motor and flywheel can decrease the efficiency and speed of the system. It can also cause wear and tear on the motor and flywheel, leading to potential malfunctions and decreased lifespan.

3. How can friction between motor and flywheel be reduced?

Friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, on the contact surfaces of the motor and flywheel. Additionally, using smoother and more precise surfaces can also help reduce friction.

4. Can friction between motor and flywheel be completely eliminated?

No, friction cannot be completely eliminated. However, it can be minimized to a certain extent through proper maintenance and use of lubricants.

5. What are the consequences of excessive friction between motor and flywheel?

Excessive friction can lead to overheating of the motor, which can cause damage and potential failure. It can also decrease the overall efficiency and performance of the system.