Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Friction factor on very very low reynolds number

1. Apr 7, 2006 #1
    hai all,
    I'm now doing a research about castor oil. i've a got a few a confusing problems..

1. to flow castor oil in a 12 mm acrylic pipe i use a reservoir 1 metres from the outlet. Because castor oil is very thick (dyn visc. = 0.5 Pa-m), the velocity of the flow is very low just about 0.02 m/s, therefore the reynolds number i got is very small just about 0.35. do u guys think it's normal? coz' i've never found any case that has a reynolds number below 1 in an internal flow.

2. related to the first question, i got the friction factor for laminar flow using the eg f=64/Re, so i got about 140-150. do u guys think it's normal to have a friction factor > 1.

that's my confusing problem, btw i dont want to use pump, because pump will break the oil's molecule.

please help me here. =)

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2006 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Very low Reynolds numbers are encountered with motor oils. I have an example of oil leakage past a cylinder head/bore in which Re = 0.0375.

The formula I have for volumetric flow rate is

Q = [tex]\frac{\pi\,\Delta{p}D^4}{128\,\mu\,L}[/tex], where D is pipe/tube diameter and L is pipe/tube length, p is pressure, and [itex]\mu[/itex] is dynamic or absolute viscosity.

Q = V A where V is mean fluid velocity.

The f is probably correct for the Re, but I am not familiar with the application at such low Re.

What is the temperature of application?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2006
  4. Apr 9, 2006 #3
    so u think it's normal to have a friction factor > 1 with such Reynolds number?
    the temperatur is ambient about 30 deg Celcius
    Thanks btw

5. Apr 9, 2006 #4

Clausius2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The friction factor for laminar flows can be derived analytically and has a value of 64/Re. There's no further problem if it is larger than one.

6. Apr 9, 2006 #5

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

It would appear to be normal for oils, e.g. motor oil in a warm engine. At some point, the oil temperature increases to around 100°C or slightly higher, so viscosity will vary considerably. The dimensions used in lubrication are generally very small (parallel surfaces).

As Clausius2 mentioned it should not be a problem. I believe that f = 64/Re is derived from the formula I posted by virtue of the definition of the Darcy friction factor - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darcy_Friction_factor

See also - http://web.umr.edu/~wlf/MW/HagPoi.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hagen-Poiseuille_law

7. Apr 9, 2006 #6
    thank you very much for the answers..i really really appreciates it. =)

8. Apr 20, 2006 #7
    continuing my research about oil for lubricants, could you guys tell me where can i find the rheology overview of oil (viscosity change under shear) chart?
    i want to compare it with castor oil..
    thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?